Thread: No.39 Squadron vs Ju.52s

Thanks

Default No.39 Squadron vs Ju.52s

Pilot Officer Eric Philip Twiname, RCAF was lost on 24 September 1943 whilst flying a Beaufighter of No.39 Squadron, presumably part of a formation (size undetermined). Object was enemy transports reported between Corsica and Leghorn. He led an attack on a Ju,52 formation and was last seen climbing towards Sardinia with one engine smoking.

Can details of this action be provided from either the German or RAF side ?

Can the name of his Observer be secured ?

I have also posted this on "Twelve O'Clock High" (in the manner of the man wearing both a belt and suspenders).

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

I'll need to check some paper files at the weekend but I have a note of a Beaufighter loss on this day but no crew in the ready use files.

24/09/43
    No.39 Sqn
    Beaufighter X
    LX792
    G

Ditched off Pianosa Island, Italy.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

There is a IAN ARRAS MacLEOD 39 Sqn on Malta Memorial for same date

Thanks

Hugh/Ross,

From, 'The Armed Rovers'.

There was a third sweep that morning (24-9-43), when Flight Lieutenant N.E.J.Butler led out five more of 39 Squadron. Butler was forced to return with engine trouble, and the lead was taken over by Pilot Officer Harry H. Deacon, who had flown with 39 Squadron since the days when it was equipped with Beauforts. The remaining four intercepted twelve Ju52s near Elba, shooting down two and damaging a third, but two Beaufighters were also shot down. One of these was last seen heading south, with a damaged engine, but the crew - consisting of a Canadian pilot, Pilot Officer Eric P. Twiname and an RAF navigator, Sergeant Ian A. McCleod* - lost their lives. The other was seen to make a good ditching; it was flown by Harry Deacon, with a Canadian navigator, Flying Officer G. Lee Heide. A third Beaufighter, flown by Seergeant A.T.P.Paterson, struggled home on one engine and crash-landed ten miles from base, without injury to the crew.

See:
    The Armed Rovers:Beauforts & Beaufighters over the Mediterranean.
    Nesbitt,Roy C.
    Shrewsbury:Airlife,1995
    p.155

* McLeod, Sgt Ian A. in index.(p.221).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th January 2009 at 12:05.

Thanks

Google book search for Twiname Beaufighter

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pX3fgDJkzmsC&pg=PA124&dq=Twiname+beaufigh ter#PPA142,M1

Whispering Death By Lee Heide

"Page 141
    Unfortunately, I also saw F/O Twiname, a Canadian pilot, and his navigator, Sgt. McCleod, peel off and go down - both were killed."
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi All

These were the aircraft that were in on the attack on the 24th Sept 1943 at 10.03 hrs

F/Lt N.E.J. Butler and Sgt W.A.G. Hook in LX789 'B'. Out at 10.03 back at 10.30
    P/O H.H. Deacon and P/O C.L. Heide in LX903 'T'. Out at 10.03 "Lost".
    P/O E. Twiname and Sgt I.A. McLoed in LX779 'X' Out at 10.03 "Lost".
    W/O A.T. Paterson and Sgt W.G.G. Shaw in LX862 'S' Out at 10.03 crashed at 1510 Damaged but flew home on one engine and crash-landed 10 miles North-east of aerodrome. Crew unhurt.
    Sgt B. White Sgt F. Bruton in JM404 Out at 10.03 back at 1510.

A previous operation took place at 08.30 on the same day
    P/O M.C. Hyslop and F/Lt D.S. Elliott in LX907 'W'. Out at 08.30 back at 12.30.
    W/Cdr N.B. Harvey and P/O I. Footitt in LX799 'A' Out at 08.30 back at 12.30.
    F/O T.M. Curlee and Sgt R. Adam in JM417 'R'. Out at 08.30 back at 12.30.
    F/O C.L. Cullen and F/O R.W. Powell in LX911 'V'. Out at 08.30 back at 12.30.

Hope this will help you. Take from 39 Sqn ORB AIR 27/407 page 241A and 242.

Pel

Thanks

Hi All

I was a little premature with the completion of my last entry.

LX792 'G was lost in the first action of the day, taking off at 07.15. The crew were;
    S/L Petch and P/O G.F. Williams. 'G' was observed to ditch and the crew were picked up by launch from Pianosa Island.

And in the last action of the day at 14.35.
    LX799 'A' with F/O N.D. Cox and F/O W.W. Spearey as the crew were lost to Bf109's. Four claims were made for shooting down Beaufighters by german fighter pilots this day, Uffz Jugens of IX./TG 2 Beaufighter, 12km West of Elba at 1435. Uffz Phillip Grub of IX./TG 4 Beaufighter, 120m West of Elba at 1600 and Uffz Gerhard John of IX./TG 4, Beaufighter, 150 m between Poggio and Elba at 1605. probably thes last two shoot down Cox. Fw Renzow claim number 6, of 8.JG 77 also claimed a beaufighter. but the location is unknown.

Pel

Thanks

Hello Pel
    thanks for the interesting info!
    But IMHO those German Uffz were air gunners onboard Ju 52s because TG means Transportgeschwader. Fw Renzow was of course a fighter pilot.

Juha
    Last edited by Juha; 29th January 2009 at 20:24.

Thanks

Default william spearey

F/O W.W Spearey was my grandfather. He was shot down off the coast of Sardinia. I was wondering if you have any more records of this incident.
    Thank you
    Rebecca