Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaufighter Crash 08/05/1942 Details sought.

Thanks

Default Beaufighter Crash 08/05/1942 Details sought.

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen a crew member search for this aircraft over on Key publishings Flypast forum.

We have now got all members who were all on the aircraft. There were three on board.

Harold Banford Crouse 22 who we believe was the Pilot in charge of the aircraft
    Frank William Bodfish 27 who we believe was catching a lift back to base.
    Charles Alexander Furbank 23 who was Obs/Radar.

Does anyone have any more details on this aircraft. We are in the process of requesting the crash card at the moment but as you know this can take some time. There is also a little confusion on the Canadian records as to the serial number of this aircraft too. I dont have access to my Beaufighter crash log to be able to do a quick scan through the pages for a serial at the moment and was wondering if anyone has any more details of this accident.

We believe that Crouse was in charge but it could quite easily have been Bodfish. We are looking to find out as much info as possible.

Can anyone help?

We are researching this accident through the usual channels but as you know it takes time and having just found all this info we are excited to learn more.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Do you have the extracts of Crouse' s service records? Do they include a crash report, Form 765 or Form 412?

What is the confusion in the Canadian records, can you elaborate to help people answer you.

The link to the thread on flypast .
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?p=1715285
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

My collegue has the extracts of the Canadian records for Crouse and there is no crash report.

The records state that Bodfish and Burbank were on board with him when infact it was Furbank.

A simple enough mistake easily corrected as you can see from the flypast enquiry.

The records briefly mention the crash and a serial but after searching for the serial we could not find any record and worry that we might be wasting time if we order the wrong crash card. I am just trying to find as much info on this crash while we wait for the crash cards. By tonight I should be able to gain access to The Beaufighter crash log and I hope to confirm the serial there.

So the confusion is that the Canadian records had a fictional crew member. Now solved. And a dubious reference to the aircraft serial number.

Apart from that just trying to get more info while we wait for the crash card.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Beaufighter I.F - X7568 - flew into ground Bowshill Farm near Ecclaw, Berwickshire.

Henk.

Thanks

Thanks Henk

I will confirm this with my collegue tonight and see what the Canadian records serial number is.

I just got the Death register entry for these 3 chaps.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Thanks

Henk

I think it should be.. Bowshiel Farm

Paul

Thanks

Yes you are correct Paul. It is Bowshiel.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Thanks

Hello,

From my own experience with Department of Research of R.A.F. Museum Hendon, when enquiring by snail mail or e-mail, providing them the type of plane, correct date and the name(s) of pilot(s)/crew is enough for them to retrieve the accident card (form 1180). If you can provide them the serial number, that's better, but when visiting the reading room by myself, later on, I realised that the accident cards are on microfilm, and if my memory serves me well, are classed by Squadrons (by growing numbers), date by date. Not by growing order of the serial numbers.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks for correction bowshill into Bowshiel, file amended.

Henk.

Thanks

Hi Scott,

I have the following for your crash:

Bristol Beaufighter IF X7568 141 Sqn.
    R76367 F/Sgt Harold Banford Crouse RCAF pilot (K),
    1318172 Sgt Charles Alexander Furbank navigator radar (K)
    Aircraft flew into the ground at low speed, Bowsheil Farm, Ecclaw, Berwickshire.

Only two names listed however, but notice crew positions.

Jim
    Jim Corbett