Thread: German Claims 8th/9th July 1943 57 Sqn Loss

Thanks

Default German Claims 8th/9th July 1943 57 Sqn Loss

I was wondering if anybody had any idea what claims the Germans files contain for the night of the 8th/9th July 1943.

I have been resaerching the loss of Lancaster ED947 of 57 Squadron which crashed near Evergem &km NNW of Ghent) while on operations to attack Cologne. All of the crew survived to become POW's however I am not 100% why it crashed, although I think it may have been shot down.

I was wondering if anybody knows if the Luftwaffe claims to have shot down an aircraft in the Ghent area on this date.

Shortly before the aircraft crashed it jettisoned it load on the village of Oosteeklo, and I was also wondering if anybody knows if there were casualties in the village as a result of this.

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnnie,
    According to Chorley's, this aircraft jettisoned it's bombs at 00.38hrs just before it crashed, Oblt Heinz-Martin Hadeball claimed a Lancaster shot down at 00.40, so theres a possible for you.

Thanks

Thanks for that. I have hunted around the internet a little more and came across the Luftwaffe Claims list again (I knew I had used it before but couldn't find it again) and it seems the next claim is at 1.05, so your theory for Oblt Heinz-Martin Hadeball would fit in.

Could anybody tell me what 05 Ost S/IH 85 6.700m means on the claims file.

I assume 6.700 is the aircraft height, but was wondering if the other parts of the code are for the location.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hi Johnnie:

Yes, it's a position code, though it looks like its over water, past the Scheldt estuary, west of Rotterdam.

HTH

Mark

(Do a search for LUMA - should be on a Danish website about the Luftwaffe run by a fellow named SES, it's a position converter. Or PM me and I''ll send you a LW grid map, position converter spreadsheet, instructions, again all from SES' excellent site.)

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Many thaks for the message. If the conversion is correct I guess we can rule out the Heinz-Martin Hadeball claim as it would be quite a way out. How good were the positions given with the claims? Could there be a mis up as the time seems to fit?

Johnnie

Thanks

Then again, on looking at a map of the location of Oosteeklo where the bombs were jettisoned, and Evergem where the plane came down, it would seem the aircraft was travelling in a SSE direction. I wonder if we add the location of the Luftwaffe claim if we might have a possible flight path from over the sea.

I suppose we also have to think about how accurate thsi times quoted are.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hi Johnnie:

The German position is just north of the island of Schoulven, WSW Rotterdam, about 40 miles from your crash location. Might be your man, might have been coastal flak I guess, their claims are not so well documented.

Thanks

That might fit as I have just been going over the route ordered.

The first turning point was: 5154N 0230E (near the luftwaffe claim I think)
    The second was 5122N 0320E (near Cadzand-Bad)

The third would have been 5030N 0630E, and then from there they would have been into
    Cologne.

Johnnie

Thanks

Default German Claims 8/9 July 1943 57 Sqn.

Hi there,
    Dr.Theo Boiten,in his book 'Nachtjagd War Diaries' Volume 1,has ED947 as a victim of an unknown crew of 12/NJG 4,crashing at Evergem near Gent at 00.40.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards,Mark.

Thanks

Johnnie - sorry for the delay, things went crazy yesterday. Try to send you the stuff after dinner.