Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burials

Thanks

Default Burials

I apologise that this is slightly O/T but think there is a relevance and can't think where else to ask. I know German war dead in the UK were mostly collected up in the 1960s and moved to Cannock but what about Italian Aircrew in the UK? Does anyone know if they were "centralised" or still buried near their crash sites? Thanks Pete

Thanks

Hi Pete
    About a year ago I was sent a document, by CWGC, that lists the non-Commonwealth airmen around the world for which they have responsibility. Using the "find" facility on Word I came up with only 5 Italian Air Force personnel. There is 1 in Belgrade, 1 in Bristol(Greenbank) and 3 in Brookwood Military Cemetery in Surrey. The one in Bristol and one of the 3 in Brookwood have death dates in 1945, i.e. long after Italy's surrender and indeed the Bristol one is June 1945 after Germany's surrender. The other 2 in Brookwood both died in Nov '40 which ties in with the limited incursion of Italian A/C in the early phase of the Blitz. As you say most Germans seem to be in the Cannock Cemetery's but there are a substantial number from throughout the war in other places like Dyce in Aberdeen, Exeter, Tangmere etc.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thank Dick

Thanks

Pete,

Brookwood also holds an Italian plot. I do not know but I must assume that some to many of the Italian war casualties graves were relocated to this plot.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Pete and Dick, I corresponded with CWGC a few years ago with regard Polish graves and locations, their reply was something like, Poland isnt or wasnt in the Commonwealth which is pretty much what I expected really. Is the same the case for Italy?

However, Ive been around a fair few of the cemeteries in the North of England and not come across any Italian stones, not that I really know what format/shape they take, but theres no Italian-sounding names on uncommon shaped ones Ive come across. There are one or two Russian ones though.

There used to be alot of FFAF graves at Stonefall Cemetery in Harrogate and they were all taken home in the years after the War, did this happen with Italians as it did with some Germans?

I could be wrong but as I understand it if graves are in local plots the local parishes look after the graves and are paid to do so. If this is correct would CWGC hold the details on their list for non-cwgc remit casualties?

Im not too clued up though but someone who frequents this forum may know more and I would love to know more too.

Regards Rich

Thanks

Pete,

Picture of Italian plot in Brookwood is available for sending by PM. The forum email editor does not allow attachments. The picture also gives you the shape of Italian war graves headstones. I can also confirm the observation made by Rich. Have been to dozens of cemeteries with war graves, all over the UK. No Italian graves seen. Except for the dedicated plot in Brookwood.

The CWGC is likely to have a list of Italian war graves in their care, worldwide.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Hi All
    As far as I can judge it, the policy of CWGC is that to be accessible on their website the deceased has to fit one of two categories, 1. to be a Citizen of the UK or Commonwealth or 2. to be a non -Commonwealth citizen who is enlisted in the UK or Commonwealth Armed Services. This rules out a significant number of personnel eg.Poles etc who fought with us but as members of Exiled armed services. CWGC is ,however, responsible for the graves and memorials of many "Exiles" and Enemies throughout the world. The list that they sent me runs to 185 pages and covers the whole world and my list is Airmen only. What the list doesn't tell me is who might have been repatriated after the war, as an example , the cemetery at Harrogate doesn't appear at all, so the FFAF repatriation clearly took them all. There are hundreds of Polish and German names on the list up and down the country. In answer to a query on the Forum I was able to come up with a list of Turkish airmen killed in the UK undergoing flying training.I used the "find" facility in Word and put in Italian Air Force and it highlighted only 5 names, as I put in my post. Clearly CWGC has records of many more than we can find on their website and from other posts on this and the old Forum it looks like they can make the information available if requested, and if time permits
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi all,

simply - you can find Czechoslovak airmen in CWGC register as they were members of RAF VR while PAF was independent on Air Minstry, only cooperating as allied force.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

In response to Dick:

The CWGC does have lists of burials on non-Commonwealth servicemen and other war casualties, whose graves are in the care of the CWGC. This data is not available via the online Casualty Register. I have some of these CWGC lists, grouped by nationality. I do not have such a list with Italian casualty names, but the CWGC is the organisation to ask.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Pete,

I was think about your query and remembered a photograph I took several years ago. Living in Cumbria I was aware that many Italian P.O.Ws were held in the county, mainly to work in agriculture.

When I visited the Carlisle cemetery (Dalston road) a very large cemetery with a large CWGC section and cross of sacrifice, I was surprised to see several Italian war graves.

Soldato
    Domenico IANNI
    Nato Il 26 Maggio 1914
    Deceduto Il 15 Gennaio 1946
    Esercito Italiano

I took the picture because he died in 1946. I suppose wherever prisoners were kept accidents and disease took there toll .

Mark