Thread: 411124 - Unaccounted airman - 24-11-1941 (Western Desert)

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airman - 24-11-1941 (Western Desert)

Looking for the serial number of a Hurricane; can't find a match in my Hurricane files:

F/O (Pilot) Cecil H.L. TULLOCH - 85007 - 80 Sqn (LG.128 - Western Desert) lost and commemorated on Panel 30 of the Runnymede Memorial.

Strange that an airman lost in the Middle East is commemorated on the Runnymede ! Is 80 Sqn correct for F/O Tulloch ?

Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

I think you are right to be suspicous of the 80 Sqn reference. Air-Britain's 'Strike Ture - The story of No.80 Squadron Royal Air Force' by Christopher Shores lists casualties by date and there is no entry at all for 24 Nov 41, nor for Tulloch under any other date.

Errol

Thanks

Default Cecil Tulloch

Hi Henk

However, my records DO show Flg Off Tulloch flying with 80 Squadon on 24 November 1941, sharing a Bf110 with Lt Duff-Richardson of 4SAAF before being shot down and killed!

Tulloch is mentioned in Chris Shores' 'Fighters over the Desert' p.68, from where I probably gleaned my information.

A mystery that needs further investigation, methinks!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airman - 24-11-1941 (Western Desert)

Henk,

A P/O Tulloch has a brief mention in "Ace of Aces" about M St J Pattle by E.C.R. Baker. If it is him he was at Larrisa, Greece with 80 Squadron in December 1940 flying Gladiators. "On the 6th December the detachment returned to Larrisa, the pilots for a few days respite from operations, and the Gladiators for extensive major and minor repairs, several of the Gladiators had to be written off completely; Jimmy Kettlewell, Shorty Graham and, a recent addition to the squadon , Pilot Officer Tulloch took of to fly to Athens, prior to embarking for Egypt to fly new Gladiators to the unit". He may have stayed with the squadron and then went to 33 Squadron with Pattle. In the case of him being recorded on the Runnymede Memorial while flying in the Middle East, I have quite a number of OADU crew members, and others lost in the Med who are also record on it, so it is not uncommon.

Pel

Thanks

'Fighters Over the Desert' was pub in 1969
    80 Sqn history in 1986
    Both by same author

As Tulloch not in the latter presumably this reflects a correction by the author in light of post 1969 information?

Errol

Thanks

GRO War Deaths R.A.F. (Overseas) lists:

TULLOCH Cecil H.L. #85007 as having died in 1941 as a member of 80s

dg

Thanks

Thanks gents for all your reactions. For the time being TULLOCH's name will be left on my list of airmen unaccounted for.
    Regards,
    Henk.