Thread: Searching for crew of wellington1c dv 593 crashed 14 april 1942 at Kilder Netherlands

Thanks

Default Searching for crew of wellington1c dv 593 crashed 14 april 1942 at Kilder Netherlands

Dear Mr or Mrs,

Thru advice of Jim Corbett ACIA Researscher and webmaster the following lines.

My father was born in1929 in Kílder The Netherlands and he tolled a lot of stories about ww2 (in 1940 he was 11 years old) and often mentioned a Mea west floating vest.
    My father died in december 2007 and tru cleaning his house we found this Mea West.
    This belonged to one of the crewmembers of a in 1942 shotdown wellington.
    The pilot of this aircraft was Cedric Hall Mardon (at that time 20 years old ,service number114450) and he died at the crash and was burried at the churchyard in Kilder, the Netherlands.
    Thru searching the internet we found out that the aircraft was an wellington IC bomber DV 593 ,X1D JN-? belonged to 150 sqdn at Snaith UK at a operation to bomb Dortmund in gemany.
    At 14 april 1942 it was shotdown at 0207 Hour by a geman nightfitgher.
    Pilot Cedric Hall Mardon stayed in his cockpit thus enabeling his crew to succesfully abandon.
    This crew was Sgt.W France, Sgt. RE Mellor, Sgt R.Garrod, Sgt. JCB Peebles and Sgt. RW Marr.
    After they got at the ground they were interned in an german POW camp. I have a list of campnumbers they were interned in.
    A member of this crew dropped his early mentioned Mea West at my father house.
    Our question is if we can get in contact whith one of the crew members or a familymember.
    We would to find out which of the crew belonged the Mea West.
    We also would like to know if there are any family members from Cedric Hall Mardon of Crowcombe, Somerset uk.
    At last we would like to hear if the former mentioned crew is the complete or correct crew of flight dv593. In a local paper we found the name of Whitley who also died during that crash????
    We would like to hear about the real story from this crasch so we can tell this to our childeren and to the people of Kilder and make sure that the story never will be forgotten and bring honour to pilot C.H Mardon and its crew of flight dv 593.
    Hopefully you can help us to find the missing pieces of the puzzle.

Sincecerly, Clemens Harmsen
    van Marlestraat 23
    7035 an Kilder the Netherlands

e mail clemensoda@tele2.nl

Thanks

Hi Clemens
    From a book Bomber Command Losses Vol 3 by W R Chorley(covering 1942) DV593 was shot down by a nightfighter with the crew as you have listed them. There was no Whitley among the crew. They had been raiding Dortmund. The only Whitley that I can find for 1942 was part of the crew of a 57 Sqn Lancaster that was lost without trace raiding Cologne in Oct'42 and it is not known where the crew were buried,if they ever were buried, so they are commemorated on the RAF Memorial at Runnymede in Surrey, S England. Can I point out that Whitley was also the name of a Twin-engined bomber used by the RAF in the easlier part of the war and superseded by the Heavy Bombers? It may be that your newspaper report refers to one of these still in use in early 1942 although the book I quoted from contains no details of such a loss until 23-24 Apr'42 when 2 were lost from a raid on Rostock(1 crashing in England) and another lost in the Baltic,off Keil, also raiding Rostock
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Clemens,
    Did you talk to Karl Lusink ? (http://www.arga-nl.nl).

Henk.