Thread: 487 Mosquito loss 6/7 December 1944

Thanks

Default 487 Mosquito loss 6/7 December 1944

Dear all,

I am looking for information about the loss of a Mosquito of 487 Squadron on 6/7 December 1944 -serial nr., crew details, place, time & cause of loss. Who can help?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo:

From Thomas and Shores' "2nd Tactical Air Force" volumes:

Coded EG-R, ftr from an intruder, estimated lost around 2350 on 6/7 December, F/O N.F. Smith and F/O L.A. Kessler both KIA.

No information on cause beyond failed to return.

Boot me up the bum if I get too behind on translations Theo.

I'm on my "lunch" break - it's actually midnight as I'm doing nights on the current project.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

cheers & thanks for the info, do you also have a serial nr. for this Mossie?

If it's possible, I would appreciate it if you could start sending me bits & pieces of the translations again, so I can edit these new German accounts into the ms of the NJWD 2nd edition, but I don't want to push you mate as I know you're busy in Japan!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo,

Same publication gives serial as HR357.

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Theo,
    Also serial HR357 in my files; crashed 2 km W of Huijbergen (Noord-Brabant). It seems that - according to an info from the Huijbergen City Hall - the bodies 28-3-1946 (!) still were in the wreckage. Recovery impossible due to danger of mines.

Henk.

Thanks

To my knowledge the crew is buried in the CWGC Bergen-op-Zoom. Target is given as "Geldern".

Regards, George

Thanks

Hello chaps,

Thanks a lot for your quick and accurate replies. The reason for asking about this loss is that, recently, I have found out that Lt. Welter of the Me262 equipped Kommando Welter achieved his very first jet victory over a Mosquito on 6-7 December 1944. (unfortunately no time & location has surfaced for this claim..). As Welter flew the 262 on operational trial sorties in the Berlin area, one would suspect that his quarry would have crashed near Berlin, but I have no evidence of any Mosquito losses (or, for that matter, of a Mossie getting damaged) in the greater Berlin area on 6/7 December 44 -anyone out there who does??

Cheers, Theo