Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sir Lewis Hodges

Thanks

Default Sir Lewis Hodges

On the night of 3 to 4 September 1940, Sir Lewis Hodges was the victim of a crash with a Hampden on the town of Pordic in Brittany.
    I am looking for the composition of the crew of Hampden. Serial? 49 Sqdn?

Thank you

Dan

Thanks

Hampden P1347 'D'

F/O L M Hodges
    Sgt S J Hitchings
    Sgt J H Wyatt
    Sgt L C Turnbull

Hodges and Wyatt managed to escape and make it back via Gibraltor

From "The Other Few: Bomber and Coastal Command Operations in the Battle of Britain"

and have you seen his biog?

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Hodges.htm

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 19th February 2008 at 16:31.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
    Hampden P1347 'D'

F/O L M Hodges
    Sgt S J Hitchings
    Sgt J H Wyatt
    Sgt L C Turnbull

Hodges and Wyatt managed to escape and make it back via Gibraltor

From "The Other Few: Bomber and Coastal Command Operations in the Battle of Britain"

and have you seen his biog?

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Hodges.htm

A
    Thank you
    The rest of the crew EVD?

Yes OK for the biog.
    Dan

Thanks

Hitchings - 700456 - PoW - Camp 357 Nr 276
    Turnbull - 619199 - PoW - Camp 357 Nr 208

Henk.

Thanks

Sgt JH Wyatt is my Grandfather and I know nothing much about him and was wondering if you have any further information on him.... I have just found the link about "The Other Few" and trying to research more on his activities during the war... He died in 1991 and I never got the chance to ask him as he divorced my Nanna and remarried... I never knew him and trying to find out what I can...

Thanks

Hi Keren,

I have conducted a little research into RAF evaders. S/L Hodges was recommended for a Military Cross although he was later awarded a Mention in Despatches. 754237 F/Sgt J.H Wyatt was recommended for a Military Medal ! although he was later awarded a Mention in Despatches London Gazette 11.6.1942 ! (Gazette issue 35586 page 51)

The National Archives hold brief details of his recommendation for his Military Medal ref WO373/61

Also his service number 754237 tells me he enlisted in the RAFVR around June 1939 !

Mark

Thanks

Keren,

After a bit more digging 754237 W/O J.H Wyatt luck ran out 11-12th August 1942 when Halifax W1061 78 Sqn was shot down by flak and a nightfighter on a mission to Mainz two crew KIA, four POWs and one evaded ! So in the end he did become a POW !

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark

Thank-you for that it's sincerely appreciated... I have noticed that the service number they have of John H Wyatt is mistranscribe his actual number was 754227... I'm learning more and more about someone I never knew anything about apart from his name and service number.... So thank-you... I'm now in contact with his son by his second marriage and have obtained a few photos of him.... Including a letter from a Celestin Laine in french.... Celestin Laine was a very interesting man from what I've researched on also...

Thanks

Hi Mark

"Footprints on the Sands of Time" Oliver Clutton Brock
    lists

Wyatt JH SGT 49 Squadron Hampden P1347 4/9/40, Target Stettin, Camp: Toulouse, Escaped via Gibraltar. UK on 31/7/41 MiD

Wyatt JH SGT 78 Squadron Halifax W1061 11/8/42, Target Mainz, Camps: 8b / 344 (same camp which changed its name) POW number 27055 Escaped via Gibraltar. UK on 31/7/41 MiD

Suggest you contact the RAF Air Historical Branch, though you will need next of kin proof. Hopefully his son by second marriage can do this for you as copy of his death cert may be required. Try ahb.raf@btconnect.com

Also write to International REd Cross in Geneva who may still hold records. Same next of kin details needed.
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Keren,

If you go to http://www.veterans-uk.com/service_records/service_records.html the website will tell you exactly how to obtain your grandfather's service record. Although he has a surviving son by his second marriage I would have thought that since you are a direct descendent through one of his other children you shouldn't have any problem in obtaining the information. That said, it would be useful if the two of you are on good terms.

Brian