Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinner 21 Victories?

Thanks

Default Skinner 21 Victories?

I came across this story

http://www2.canada.com/richmondnews/news/story.html?id=087f7e1a-5052-4d61-8113-98a3ef8c9b6e

but I can find no Skinner with 21 victories, no Skinner listed with the above details in The Men of the Battle of Britain, nor anything else that fits the descriptions.

Can anyone expand on these newspaper claims?

A

Thanks

Amrit,
    The only one i've found is Sgt W.M. Skinner of 74sqdn, injured in collision with another a/c on 30/8/40. I'm assuming that Bill is short for William, and cannot find anything in the London Gazette for the DFC. He's not on any list that i have, and not mentioned on 242sqdn site or BOB Historical Society site.
    Have just found that W.M.Skinner became pow on 06/07/41 after being shot down over France, so he's not your man.
    Last edited by AlanW; 5th February 2009 at 08:48. Reason: Revised

Thanks

Strange that his favourite aircraft was a Lancaster. There is a William Archibald Skinner (CJ87369) awarded the DFC 2/3/45 whilst with 103 Sq. (Carter)

Thanks

Default Skinner

Seems strange that he gives the following answers:

Q: What was your favourite airplane?

A: The Lancaster Bomber. It was like driving a nice car. It was a great four-engine bomber that I flew during the Second World War.

Q: What was your worst accident?

I was in Northern Ireland fighting the Germans in 1943 when my plane was shot from under me. I received third degree burns to my whole body.

I would be fascinated to find out how he came to be shot down in Northern Ireland in 1943 by the Luftwaffe and how he ended up on Lancasters after he is claimed to have scored 21 victories as a fighter pilot. How is it that he does not appear in any listing of the top scoring allied pilots lists? Surely we would have known about him long before now? is this Walter Mitty, or does someone out there have proof that this is not just a tall story?

He is not listed under RCAF aces, Australian aces, French-Canadia aces, British aces, Irish aces, New Zealnd, Northern Irish or Scottish aces. I could go on but you might wish to check the following website http://jpgleize.club.fr/aces/ww2.htm#AF which appears to be very comprehensive and would surely not have missed such a talented fighter?

Thanks

http://www.lindareidmla.bc.ca/EN/january_2009/what/?&PHPSESSID=1ede19a120e90fdea344bb06740ad5a4

Thanks

My late Grandad served in the 103/576 squardrons, you have the surname Carter mentioned above, does this relate ?

Thanks

This one reminds me of my days as an editor with rookie reporters who came back with human interest stories that were so attractive that they didn't even do a cursory check on whether they were true or not - especially when it involves a senior. It happens often in local papers.

I have contacted the editor to inquire about this story and will let the board know what I learn.

And to add to Paul's link to the local politician's site that mentions the same man... this too I have seen before, so it's no guarantee of anything.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 5th February 2009 at 15:50. Reason: addt'l comment
    David

Thanks

Here is the DFC Citation for William Archibald SKINNER

Flying Officer William Archibald SKINNER (Can/J.
    87369), R.C.A.F., 103 Sqn.
    This officer was pilot and captain of an aircraft
    detailed to attack Munich. On the outward
    flight, trouble developed in the port inner engine.
    The oil and coolant temperatures rose and flames
    issued from the exhaust manifold. The propeller
    had to be feathered. This did not deter Flying
    Officer Skinner from continuing to the target which,
    despite fighter interference and opposition from the
    ground defences, was attacked successfully. The
    weather was bad but Flying Officer Skinner flew
    the aircraft back to base. His determination was
    typical of that which he has shown throughout his
    tour of operational duty.

Thanks

Thank you everyone, for your responses, your diligence, and for allowing me to breath easy again - when I first saw the story early this morning, I checked all my sources but kept thinking I had missed something fundamental in the story.

I too have come to the conclusion that this is oneof two things - either the author/reporter is a complete aviation novice and has mangled the details, or the subject is indeed not what he claims. Though I would not make any direct accussations until we check, and double check, everything, this is starting to look like the case of Eric Jephcott, the so-called 617 Squadron "dambuster". I posted that story on another forum:

http://ww2chat.com/forums/news-articles/2424-dambuster-fraudster.html

Quote Originally Posted by dfuller52 View Post
    I have contacted the editor to inquire about this story and will let the board know what I learn.
    Beat me to it :) I wanted to check with you guys before I did the same. I look forward to see what they have to say.

cheers guys

A

BTW - what is the collective term for members - rafcommanders? rafcommandos? rafcommandites?

Thanks

Default Skinner?

G'day

All my sources on No. 242 (F) Squadron and Canadians in the Battle of Britain show no mention of anyone with the last name of Skinner. I'm sure Hugh Halliday can straighten this all up in a minute.

As for 21 aircraft shot down, then why is his name not up there with these other Commonwealth aces with similar numbers?

Donald Kingaby
    From the U. K.
    Served with the Royal Air Force
    21 kills plus 2 shared kills

William V. Crawford-Crompton
    From New Zealand
    Served with the Royal Air Force
    21 kills

Raymond Brown Hesselyn
    From New Zealand
    Served with the Royal New Zealand Air Force
    21 kills

>>>"You couldn't eat because in a rollover you'd lose anything in your stomach"<<<

That statement wants to make me barf. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten a full meal and then gone flying and carried out aerobatics. He must have one weak stomach for a fighter pilot.

Since when were you able to enlist in a particular squadron? Perhaps the closest thing to that might have been the Auxiliary Air Force. No. 242 (F) Squadron was re-formed on the 30th of October 1939, the year the reporter says he enlisted in the squadron.

I'll go out on a limb and say this guy is full of bull sh*t! This story is so full of holes, that if it was an aircraft, its wings would never develop lift.

Cheers...Chris

P.S. I like the RAF Commandos myself