Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAAF Casualty

Thanks

Default WAAF Casualty

I have on record a Sergeant Olive Mary Morse, WAAF, 2040538 who died 14th September 1943.

I have recently received a photo of her grave in All Saints Churchyard, Witham, Essex. The inscription includes "Killed in Flying Accident". Can anyone advise what duties would have involved her flying or would she have just been a passenger on a flight?

Grateful for any info.

Tony

Thanks

Tony

Halifax LW246 of 158S BUA and came down on Mill Farm, Fordon, Filey 14/9/43.

Sgt IRTroyer-Foyan
    Sgt J Hunter
    Sgt DA Lawson
    Sgt A Thompson
    Sgt JG Taylor
    Sgt AT Nicholas
    Sgt HC O'neill
    Sgt OM Morse
    LAC AN Perrin

Olive Morse and LAC Perrin were on the a/c for air experience (Chorley).

Regards

DaveW

Thanks

Thanks Dave

Excuse my ignorance but not being ex-RAF what do the initials BUA stand for?

Tony

Thanks

Tony,

Olive Mary Morse, known to her friends as Daphne, was in the Met section. Her permanent station was the Group Met Office at HQ 4 Group (York), but in early September 1943 she was detached to the met office at RAF Lissett.

On 14 September she, and another met WAAF, either persuaded two crews, or were offered trips in Halifaxes of 158 Sqn. This was very much against the rules but the two girls were sure no one (who mattered) would find out.

Olive was on board LW246 when it took off on a fighter affiliation exercise during the afternoon; the exercise proceeded normally, and although there were some violent manouvres nothing gave cause for alarm. As LW246 was returning to base the end of the port wing broke away. The cause of the accident was the failure of the lower bolt assembly of the leading spar of the port mainplane where the port outer wing was attached.

She appears to have been a bright young lady and gifted artist, one of her paintings being hung in the National Gallery. She had joined the WAAF in August 1941 and in two years made Sgt.

My sources are the ATC controller at Lissett that afternoon, the F1180 and her obituary.

I have a photo of her headstone Tony although it's not brilliant. If you have a good one I'd be very interested in acquiring a copy.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 5th February 2009 at 16:37.

Thanks

Thanks Brian

Most interesting.

I do have two pics of the grave, one of the cross memorial and the other of the base with the commemoration on, neither of them excellent the base, with the commemoration, took a bit of deciphering. If you are still interested PM your email and I will send them.

Tony

Thanks

From your description Tony, I suspect our photos come from the same source, The War Graves Photographic Project at http://www.twgpp.org/

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian

I got mine from another member of WW2Talk, don't know where he got them

Cheers, Tony

Thanks

Tony
    If you haven't already worked it out BUA= Broke up in the Air
    Regards
    Dick

Eddie Fell Guest

I can confirm what Brian says about her being on board.

There was 'hell to pay' when the CO found out she was on board. Info from aircrew who were at Lissett. Definately an unauthorised trip with a pilot with one Op behind him

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Dick

Thanks for that. The first thing that came to mind was 'British United Airways' but being wartime I guessed that couldn't be right.

Anyway be able to sleep tonight now.

Cheers

Tony