Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skinner 21 Victories?

Thanks

I just got off the phone with the editor of the Richmond News to alert her to the concerns. She said thanks and said she would pull the story while she took it up with her reporter.

Now, the question is, can someone get to the Canadian Forces Blogger people and get it pulled from there too? (Chris maybe). It would be a shame to have this become more of an embarrassment for the tale-teller, who is a 93-year-old widower, than it already is.
    David

Thanks

Default William Skinner

David Fuller (by e-mail) asked for my input (I had somehow overlooked this thread) and I must conclude that this is a very unhappy story. The only William Skinner decorated was William Archibald Skinner, already mentioned, who was born in 1919 and did not enlist until 1942. I have no record of a William Skinner enlisting in the RAF.

I do not know if the William Skinner of this story is an RCAF veteran or not. I would like to think that he is simply a man with a relativelty mundane but otherwise honourable record who either felt he had to "juice up" his story or had some ill-informed reporter do it for him (or to him).

I have a small file listing obituaries of a few men who either claimed awards to which they were not entitled or whose families had no idea of what had been the service records of their lately departed. It includes an RCAF Wing Commander whose obituary credited him with a DFC and DFM - neither of which was awarded.