Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire PL916

Thanks

Default Spitfire PL916

Hello to all

I am looking for information on the pilot who fly Spitfire PL916 of the 683Sqn 8/10/1944 probably shot down nearby Haslach-im-Kinzigtal

Thanks in advance
    Phil

Thanks

Hello Philippe,

This seems like an odd one. Ross is the expert on Coastal Command squadrons so perhaps he can explain how a Spitfire from a squadron that was mostly based in Italy, wound up near Stuttgart.

I checked through Geoff's CWGC search engine and the Spitfire web site, which I'm sure you have too, and no obvious candidate shows up.
    David

Thanks

Hi Phil
    Can't help with the pilot I'm afraid but among the places that 683 Sqn used between Dec 43 and getting Spitfires in Sept 44 was Udine, in N Italy(Jefford-RAF Squadrons) and for a stripped down PRU Spitfire operating from that area, with extra fuel, it could well put Stuttgart, in S Germany, within range and there is the possibility that a Navigation error took him further than he planned.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Thanks

Hello Friends

Many thanks for your reply

I agree itís quite strange but itís probably this A/C , another possibility was a French Spitfire but I donít have found any such loss for that day .
    Best regards
    Phil

Thanks

Just a suggestion;

On looking at Jefford, it would appear that 682s & 683s had detachments where they co-existed (albeit maybe briefly) at various airfields around northern Italy and Southern France. They also each operated Spitfire XIs simultaneously. It is possible that due to unserviceablilty, etc, that each may have used the other's aircraft on occasion

Assuming this to be so (and it is only an assumption), 403823 F/O RJH STRANTZEN of 682s died on 08-Oct-44. The Australian Archives site has him being killed in a 'flying battle' in AUSTRALIA. As 682s never operated in that theatre, this would appear to be an error, and given that he was killed in action, he could be a contender for the pilot of PL916

Any thoughts?

dg

Thanks

F/O Strantzen is commemorated at the Malta Memorial, which brings it closer to the theatre.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Default Austria vice Australia

Strantzen's casualty file has not yet been digitized by NA Australia . The file header reads as follows:

Spitfire MK XIX, RM639, target Vienna, Austria 8 October 1944.

Thanks

Ken,

RM639 makes more sense; obviously the reference in the National Archives to the location should be AUSTRIA, which would tie in nicely

Thanks for that

dg

Thanks

G'Day dg,

The Strantzen info that you mention, 'Flying Battle', AUSTRALIA etc, is on the Australian War Memorial's Roll of Honour, not the National Archives of Australia site.

Col.

Thanks

Default Thanks

Many thanks to all for the information

Best regards
    Phil