Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Takoradi & 26 Sqn SAAF

Thanks

Default RAF Takoradi & 26 Sqn SAAF

Looking for anyone who has information, photos, references, memories, memorabilia etc of RAF Takoradi (Gold Coast, now Ghana), especially during 1942/3, or about 26 Sqn SAAF which was based there 1942-44. The port was a "drop-off" point for fighter aircraft (in knock-down form!) which were then built and ferried to the ME theatre; it was also a base for Atlantic U-boat patrols.

A fellow researcher, Bruce de Saxe, is trying to find out more about his father's air force service (Lt Dennis de Saxe, Wellington Pilot with 26 Sqn SAAF) and like many of us, has failed to find very much about this squadron or its duties/operations either in published material or on the 'Net.

Bruce has set up a skeleton website (http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/bd000006/) which he hopes to develop as a source for all things "26" and he can be contacted at systronATmweb.co.za (do the usual with AT)

Please help!!

Thanks in advance
    Mel

Thanks

Mel,
    The 26sqdn SAAF Operations Record Book can be ordered via the National Archives UK website, there are two reference numbers, AIR27/322 which covers from July 43 to April 44, and AIR27/323, which covers from May 44 through to May 46. Each book should cost approx 30 on CD, but then there'll be postage on top. RAF Takoradi's Station Record Book is also available, but i can only find from January 44 through to July 46 which is AIR28/803/3, this would be more expensive as i believe, unlike the squadron ORB's, the station records are still in their original book form and not copied to film, but someone might correct me on that.

Thanks

Alan is right, all the Station record books and in their original form and must be ordered and seen at the National Archives in Kew.

Eddie Fell Guest

I'm not sure that I agree Jonny

I have paper copies of the Station ORB's for Driffield and Lissett which were ordered 'on line' from the NA without any problems

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Eddie,
    That is correct, what i was trying to say but probably did'nt come over right, was that although you can get the paper copies of station ORB's, it would work out more costly to have them digitally copied to disc, as i found out last week when i had an estimate for 6 months of the Lakenheath Stn book, for 725, which i did not pursue any further, and i keep the estimate just to remind me not to ask for digital copies of Station books that cover long periods.
    This was how it worked out for digital copies......
    A3 Mono images 228 @ 2.80 per unit 638.40
    A4 ////////////// 14 @ 2.10 per unit 29.40.
    A2 ////////////// 10 @ 5.50 per unit 55.50.
    CD ROM...........................................3.0 0

Total............................................. ..725.80.
    Last edited by AlanW; 10th February 2009 at 19:01.

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Alan

Ouch! Whoever does the pricing for the National Archives should be running our Banks - we would be quids in!!

It was actually the bit in Jonny's response I was querying
    ie '...must be ordered and seen at the National Archives...'

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi All

I get paper copies of the Confidential Air Force Lists posted to me from TNA so you don't have to got to Kew to view paper copies, however they are not cheap, each A3 copy cost 40p each so the pages I have ordered have cost about 80-100 per set. However I also request a quote for one set as papare or digital and it was sonething like 163 for the paper copies and 5000 for the CD.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Eddie,
    From what i can remember from my last visit several years back, one document i wanted to look at was the RAF Portreath Stn ORB (my local airfield) but because it has not been copied and is still in it's original form, you have to order it, either before you go to the NA, (which means its reserved for you) or when you get there, but have to wait just in case someone else has it. If any copies are needed, the staff will copy the pages needed after you've marked them with bookmarks.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the tips about the ORBs and SRBs. If you guys think that's expensive, you should try working it out in SA Rands!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will look into it (and start saving!!)
    regards
    Mel

Thanks

Melanie,
    If you've got an equivilent of the N/A where you are, it might be possible that they have copies of the SAAF ORB's.