Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAF Takoradi & 26 Sqn SAAF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Melanie,
    If you've got an equivilent of the N/A where you are, it might be possible that they have copies of the SAAF ORB's.
    It might also be worth checking the SAAF Museum? Here in New Zealand, for instance, both Archives NZ and the RNZAF Museum hold copies of some or all of the ORBs for the 485-490 RNZAF squadrons that operated as part of the RAF.

Errol

Thanks

Eddie,

I am actually correct in what I stated eralier. The record books exist in their original form and can only be seen at Kew. They are not downloadable and they are not (yet?) on fiche. You can of course, ask for anything to be copied at the NA (even the 2 x Doomsday books) and then sent through to you, but it will cost. The only other way to do it would be to copy them yourself, but you are probably talking a couple of hundred pages for each particular book at 20p per copy.

ATB

Jonny

Thanks

Good thought, Alan, but no such luck!! Our N/A is not nearly as comprehensive or as user friendly as yours! I will make some enquiries from SAAF contacts to see if any WW2 ORBs are held in SA, but I seem to think that, as the SA units were often (as in this case) operating as part of a RAF command, the records are kept in UK. That was certainly the case for 31 and 34 Sqns SAAF (part of RAF 205 Group) when I checked a couple of years ago.
    Thanks for the thought, tho'!!
    Mel

Thanks

Mel,

I was stationed over in Ottawa for a couple of years and they had all RCAF Sqn ORBs available to the public on fiche. I believe that these were sourced from Kew. Perhaps someone should suggest such an idea to your 'powers that be'. I am sure that it would not break the bank to get copies. It is your history after all.

Kind rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Thanks for your tips, everyone! I will pursue the Kew and SAAF archives routes and hope for the best! Anyone know which RAF units were based at Takoradi 1942-44? I believe there would have been Maintenance Units who could assemble the crated aircraft, as well as pilots to fly them to N Africa? I also wonder whether SAAF was alone in operating the U-boat patrols or if there were other air forces involved? Any ideas?
    Thanks again!
    Mel

Thanks

Default takoradi

Quote Originally Posted by melaniejane View Post
    Looking for anyone who has information, photos, references, memories, memorabilia etc of RAF Takoradi (Gold Coast, now Ghana), especially during 1942/3, or about 26 Sqn SAAF which was based there 1942-44. The port was a "drop-off" point for fighter aircraft (in knock-down form!) which were then built and ferried to the ME theatre; it was also a base for Atlantic U-boat patrols.

A fellow researcher, Bruce de Saxe, is trying to find out more about his father's air force service (Lt Dennis de Saxe, Wellington Pilot with 26 Sqn SAAF) and like many of us, has failed to find very much about this squadron or its duties/operations either in published material or on the 'Net.

Bruce has set up a skeleton website (http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/bd000006/) which he hopes to develop as a source for all things "26" and he can be contacted at systronATmweb.co.za (do the usual with AT)

Please help!!

Thanks in advance
    Mel

Are you still looking for info on Takoradi? My father was posted to Takoradi and Bangui - Sq.Ldr C J T Giddings - I have plenty of pictures etc. Contact me on Giddingstim@sky.com. Regards Tim