Thread: Gordon Cummings - Mosquito Crash

Thanks

Default Gordon Cummings - Mosquito Crash

Hi All,

Trying to find some info on Gordon Cummings. He died 26th September 1944 in a Mosquito crash. I have trawled through all the Mosquito crash info I have & from the info his family have given me, come up with LR 267. This Mossie crash fits the date & the crash area.

What I would like the know is - Am I correct, was Gordon the pilot? Who was his navigator?
    What were the circumstances of the crash (Air Britain states "structural failure")?

TTFN,
    Neil

Thanks

As a suggestion, Gordon Cummings is registered dead in North Bucks district as is another airman died that same date, F/Lt Roy R Clark 128469, age 22.

The other man may have been a commonwealth airman also but the same districts are a good lead.

The other non squadron, Rank Sgt or higher airmen that day are E A Smith and W J E Dennis both in Aylesbury district and an R A Wilkinson in Oswestry district.

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

CUMMINGS and CLARK (from Canada) were training landings on one engine and killed on Mosquito HJ884 of 13 OTU on/near Finmere.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Who was on LR268 then I wonder?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Gents
    Although ABS and http://www.dehavilland.ukf.net/_DH98%20prodn%20list.txt have both LR267 and HJ884 crashing on 26 Sept 1944, the Mosquito Crash Log has HJ884 on the 6th. Does this change anything? Are there still unaccounted for casualties on the 26th or 6th?

For HJ884 Crash Log says lost height on single engined appraoch and undershot landing at Finmere. Crew killed.

For LR267: A/c DIG from 1500' near Field farm, Bucks due to suspected structural failure. Map ref WL080417. (Translates to Marshfield Farm, Marsh Gibbon, Bicester).

More questions than answers yet again!

regards

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 11th February 2009 at 14:14. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Who was on LR268 then I wonder?
    LR268 was 418 Sqn and lost 2/3-1-1944 on a night intruder airfield Diepholz, Germany. Both airmen, F/O (Pilot) Joseph E. McGRATH - RCAF J/16363 and F/O (Nav) Donald C. BISSELL - RCAF J/24280, are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. I've a note that the Mosquito may have come down near Schwichteler, 9 km SE of Cloppenburg, Lower Saxony, Germany.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Doh! Sorry Henk my bad, I mean't LR267.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi All,

Many thanks for the info. I've now passed everything on to Gordon's relative.

TTFN,
    Neil

Thanks

Default Correction

Hello

I know I am very late in joining this thread but I only found it the other day. I am writing this post to correct an erroneous assumption. Roy Reginald Clark was my father’s brother and born in Dover, Kent, England and not Canada. My father died last year and did not talk much about Roy. I think that this was because Roy went into the RAF and dad, 1 year younger, drew the short straw and was sent down a Durham pit. It took him 60 years to forgive the government for that.

Roy was sent to Canada to train as a Pilot and married a Canadian, allegedly an heiress to a button making empire. After gaining his wings he was sent to train as an instructor and stayed in Canada until late '43 and returned to England in the hope of going on active service. However he ended up at 13OTU as an instructor. I have found a wartime memory of someone who was on a Mosquito conversion course with Gordon Cummings, http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/airfields/bicester.html#youens). I assume from this that Roy was the instructor on the fateful day. One of the few things that the family knew was that Roy died in an accident caused by engine failure. From what is on this posting it was not engine failure as they were practicing single engine landings.

I have a draw full of photos from Canada and England, papers, letters and the usual bar bills. I hope to sort through all of this and scan some of it and post it on the web, somewhere. I have approached the De Havilland museum but they do not seem interested.

When I have the photos and documents I will post a link here, if this is the appropriate place.
    Last edited by SCC; 8th May 2012 at 15:48.