Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attestation documants

Thanks

Default Attestation documants

My apologies if this question has been asked before (although I can't find it) but does anyone know if the attestation documents, signed by individuals on joining up during WW2, have survived?

I suspect not but feel the question worth asking.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

RCAF personnel - kept in their personnel files
    RAF personnel - I have seen few examples in possession of particular veterans (Czech) only

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thank you, Pavel. I thought that if they were anywhere they would be in personnel files, but I guess they have disappeared..

C'est la vie.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

RAAF are in their service files.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

And RNZAF also in their files.

Errol

Thanks

My thanks, gentlemen. I guess, logically, that was always going to be the case, especially as most of the information is included on service records. My hope was they might have been filed separately so as to be able to access redacted items (ie pre-enlistment occupation), but I guess it was always going to be a forlorn hope.

Why this information is denied to researchers years after a person's death beats me.

Brian

Thanks

I have requested several times RAF Service Record via relatives and I have always got those two large sheets (or four in case NCO+Officer) and that was all. So Brian the question is if they are not providing them for some reason or they simply were not kept in folders of the RAF personnel?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

That approach is fine provided one can trace surviving family, Pavel, but what really prompted my query was receiving two service records on the same day. One, obtained with a nephew's permission, was complete, giving next of kin, description of the person (height/colour of hair & eyes/scars/previous occupation) - very basic advice but useful in helping construct a story. The other, for a Palestinian/Israeli WAAF for whom there are no surviving relatives or photographs, lacked that information which, in this case is crucial to her story. What is so illogical is that the next of kin and their address is published by the CWGC so we have two organisations using the same information, but adopting different rules.

OK folks, I appreciate we've grumbled about this several times over the years, but I had the (very) faint hope that if the attestation document was filed separately that would be a way around the problem. Put my grumbles down to pure frustration.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

Every docket in the Form 280 had a phased destroy by date in RAF Records - this is why they survive in RAAF/RNZAF/RCAF etc - different destroy by rules

Form 543A is the only one that was to retained and so in the bulk of cases it's the only one that can be supplied now.

See my guide
    http://www.rafcommands.com/reference...ervice-airman/

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 13th August 2018 at 14:30.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, Ross. Given the mass of documents I suppose the culling made sense at the time but still left a reasonable summary, the pity is the DPA got in the way.

Brian