Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 411207 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 7-12-1941

Thanks

Tom

From 'Gifts of War' (City of Bradford I)

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default John Gain

Hi Henk

I have Z2395 for Gain, with Sutton in Z5260 and Hobbs BD783 - they were victims of Marseille, Esplenaub and Grimm of I/JG27 but I don't know 'who got who'.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Cheers Dave, I must have missed that when i looked through the book making notes. That means 350 Squadron's website has a cracking picture of the aircraft:

http://home.pi.be/~braf/350Sqn/stories/131sqn.htm

Thanks, Tom

Thanks

Thanks Brian; ready to reciprocate.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Ogborn DOAS and Lewis KOAS in Jan 29th magazine
    There is an ACW2 E C Birch listed DOAS in the same magazine, a typo for E R Birch as no name matches on CWGC.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Spitfire P7825

Quote Originally Posted by thorne83 View Post
    Yes, i'm not quite sure why, but what makes it even stranger are some other casualties killed in the area are registered at Wenlock also. For example:
    F/O C G W Moore killed in Master T8757 which crashed 3 miles East of Cosford (so east of Albrighton on the Shropshire/Staffs border) on the 26th April 1941.
    Sgt Lesa German, RCAF who was killed in Spitfire P7825 near Shifnal on the 30th July 1941.
    F/Lt R H Phillips killed in Spitfire BL907 which crashed at Donnington (actually part of Albrighton), 17th February 1945.
    Then there are the countless number of men and women who died in Cosford Hospital itself.

So i'm not sure why Wenlock incorporated that area, but it's for certain it did.

Cheers, Tom
    I have a photo of this aircraft if you would care to see it.

Regards, Bill

Thanks

Hello

ACW2 Edna R. BIRCH - 2060027 - the Evenign Despatch of DeCember 31st 1941 reported the following:

BIRMINGHAM WAAF THROWN FROM ARMY TRUCK - KILLED
    How Edna Ruth Birch, aged 20, of the W.A.A.F., whose home was at 21, Aubrey Road, Hagley Road West, Birmingham, was killed in a road accident when returning from a dance was told at the adjourned inquest at Hullavington (Wilts.). A verdict of accidental death was returned.
    On 6 December Miss Birch, with a prty of service men and women, had attended a dance at Sutton Benger, making the journey from their station in an Army truck.
    On the return journey, shortly after midnight, the lorry skidded into a ditch. Miss Birch, who was sitting next to the driver, was thrown oit and pinned against the bank by the tail of the truck, receiving injuries from which she died in hospital.
    P.-Sergt. Mallard said the road at the spot was covered with mud; very greasy, and the grass verge was non-existant owing to timber haulage. The Coroner exonerated the driver from blame.

Sgt (Pilot) Herbert J. LEWIS - 1107466 - the Graves Registration Report Form confirms his unit as 9 S.F.T.S.

Regards

Simon