Thread: New Questions posted to 254 Sqdn website

Thanks

Default New Questions posted to 254 Sqdn website

A couple of new questions posted to our website.

1. I am not sure if I have been in touch with you before. If I have, please forgive me. I am trying to find out where 254 Squadron came from and went to during their time at Abbotsinch 1 May 1942 - 1 October 1942 (I am assuming they came from Dyce and went back to Dyce before going to North Coates). Also is it possible that it was only a detachment of 254 that went to Abbotsinch to train with the TTU there?
    Grateful for your help.

Kind Regards
    Keith McCloskey

2. Hi I would like to know a bit more about my granddad Len Murphy he was a navigatior in 254 squadron and then 235 squadron as it became and flew with Wing Commander A H Simmonds i have some photos and his flying log book. He was awarded the D.F.C and i would love to find about more about him and what he did.
    I would be most greatful to hear from you and if you can shed any light on the subject.

Regards

Adam Fraley

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Paul

254 Squadron Website
    http://www2.bc.edu/~emerypa/254/
    Paul Emery

254 Squadron Website
    www2.bc.edu/~emerypa/254

Thanks

Hi Paul
    From RAF Squadrons by C G Jefford. 254 Sqn went to Dyce on 10/12/41 with BlenheimIVF's. On 11/2/42 they went to Carew Cheriton, in Pembrokeshire, S Wales, and returned to Dyce on1/6/42. In July '42 they converted to Beaufighter VI F's at Dyce with detachnemts at Wick, Caithness and Abbotsinch, Renfrewshire. It is highly likely that they were trained at TTU to use torpedos on their new a/c. On 10/10/42 they went to Docking, Norfolk and on 7/11/42 to N Coates, until Jun '45
    Regards
    Dick