Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WETP pre-enlist course 1942

Thanks

Default WETP pre-enlist course 1942

Hi all,

I have just find another mystery abbreviation for me.
    In one record of RCAF airman is written that three month before joining RCAF he was attending WETP pre-enlist course.

While using Google I have found the explanation as War Emergency Training Plan.

But could anybody give me more detailed explanation? Where it was done? It was in every town? How long it takes normally? What were the subject of training?

TIA

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 25th December 2007 at 21:59. Reason: added more detailed info

Chris Scott Guest

Default The plot thickens?

'morning, Pavel,

Can't answer your query directly, but I happen to have an extract from a RCAF (initial selection) "Interview Report", as follows:
    "Although lacks Jr. Matric., having only Grade X standing, he handled E.A.T. on a pass basis, and should not require W.E.T.P. academic. Is well built, confident type who will work very hard, [and] will study subjects applicable at I.T.S. [Initial Training School] while O.L.W.P."

I hope this doesn't raise more questions than it answers!

In haste, Chris

Thanks

Thanks Chris. There are some new abbreviations for me - E.A.T. and O.L.W.P.
    From this I understand that WETP was some kind of course preparing future cadet to be suitable for RCAF service...

Anyway would you be so kind and explain me what means Grade X? I have seen this in record of "my" man too and as our education system is different I have no idea what means grade IX and X.

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

My very limited understanding is that it was educational programme to raise the quality of general knowledge for those people who had left school at a young age. So it would have covered the core "school" subjects so that they were prepared for more specific RCAF subjects once the were enlisted. And from the few mentions that I've seen, it was a federal programme (or at least the general curriculum was decided centrally).

Here's an example to put the above into context.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SkYMd3eYxt4C&pg=PA363&lpg=PA363&dq=wetp+& #37;22pre+enlistment%22&source=web&ots=Le8-SAYIXa&sig=eGunpx6Rj2dRfIIuT8eP1S81z8I

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 26th December 2007 at 11:01. Reason: typos

Thanks

"Grade X" could be using Roman numerals, and would therefore be Grade 10.

I don't know about Canada, but in Australia Grade/Year 10 (known as High School during my time in the 70/80s) was often the accepted minimum academic achievement required for entry into all sorts of walks of life. I believe that this would be equivalent of 'junior matriculation'.

If I have it right, then 'Senior Matriculation' would be Grade/Year 12 (currently college).
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Amrit and Adrian - many thanks for explanations!

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

The purpose of the WETP was to provide basic skills training to workers entering civilian industry and to prospective entrants to the armed forces who lacked some of the basic education requirements, so it was not specific to the RCAF.

E.A.T. Educational Aptitude Test
    O.L.W.P. On Leave Without Pay (this would apply to a person who had been officially sworn into the service, but would first attend courses of instruction at a civilian facility before reporting to ITS)
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 26th December 2007 at 14:43.

Thanks

Many thanks for additional info Ken!
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 26th December 2007 at 15:00. Reason: correcting typing error

Thanks

Default Canadian grade schools

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR8 View Post
    "Grade X" could be using Roman numerals, and would therefore be Grade 10.

I don't know about Canada, but in Australia Grade/Year 10 (known as High School during my time in the 70/80s) was often the accepted minimum academic achievement required for entry into all sorts of walks of life. I believe that this would be equivalent of 'junior matriculation'.

If I have it right, then 'Senior Matriculation' would be Grade/Year 12 (currently college).
    Junior matriculation in Canada used to be a seperate set of tests that could be taken after Grade X/10 or Grade 11/XI. It would allow entry into most jobs, and some colleges (including teachers college). A student would typically be at least 15 or 16 years old when completing Grade 10 (older for some, of course). Senior matriculation was Grade 12 or 13, depending on the province, and was generally only taken if one intended to attend a full university. Ontario was the last province to use Grade 13, and only got rid of it about 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 26th December 2007 at 18:59. Reason: typo

Chris Scott Guest

See you guys have pretty well cracked Pavel's problem in my absence! Just to add to Ken MacLean's decode list, courtesy of Google, although he's explained what it was for:

WETP = War Emergency Training Program

Sample source:
    http://198.103.134.2/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/diary/2diary/grandmother/mckenzie

[The above is in the WW2 context. Today, it stands for "Worker Education Training program".] So there's 3 more for that Abbreviations list?