Thread: F/Lt Felix Clemowe Cryderman (Canada)

Thanks

Default F/Lt Felix Clemowe Cryderman (Canada)

Hello again,
    Any help from our Canadian friends please. VR 1261621/101477
    Joined the Royal Canadian Ordanance Corps in Canada, arrived in UK and enlisted in RAFVR in August, 1940 as Sgt. Trained as fighter pilot, commissioned 11-4-41 and posted to 411 sqn at Digby approx Sept, 1941 on Spitfires. Served for year with MSFU.
    Promoted to F/O served on 185 sqn in Malta as F/Lt on 1-8-43.
    In August, 1944 with 193 sqn on Typhoons until Feb, 1945 when he transferred to RCAF.
    Where did he come from in Canada, where/when did he train in UK and what was his RCAF service number and other posting please.
    Thanks for all help,
    Roy

Thanks

Default FC Cryderman

Roy. I can only supply his service number C-89564
    Richard

Thanks

Cryderman became a bush pilot after the war. He was written up in the Winnipeg Tribune and Toronto Star on 29 Dec 1948 and again in the Trib on 30 Dec after surviving for five days in the bush after his plane crashed through the ice on Chorous Lake in Northern Ontario.

Star, 29 Dec 1948 also says:

During the war, Felix served on merchant marine ships for five years with the RCNVR.
    He is a native of Sudbury [Ontario] and has been flying for 11 years.

Story says he had a wife and child (Jimmy) and was an experienced bush man (makes sense if he came from Sudbury back then).

A photo spread with pictures of the plane crash, cabin he stayed in etc. is in the Star from 31 Dec Story says he was in Fleet Air Arm. I can send you copies if you PM me.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 16th February 2009 at 19:04. Reason: addt'l info
    David

Thanks

Default FC Cryderman

Hello Richard and dfuller52
    That is gold dust which you have given me, thank you.
    His RCAF service number will help a lot.
    Thats a lot gen you have provided and explains a lot about the man.
    Thank you both and I will PM you.
    Regards.
    Roy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Nixon View Post
    Hello again,
    Any help from our Canadian friends please. VR 1261621/101477
    Joined the Royal Canadian Ordanance Corps in Canada, arrived in UK and enlisted in RAFVR in August, 1940 as Sgt. Trained as fighter pilot, commissioned 11-4-41 and posted to 411 sqn at Digby approx Sept, 1941 on Spitfires. Served for year with MSFU.
    Promoted to F/O served on 185 sqn in Malta as F/Lt on 1-8-43.
    In August, 1944 with 193 sqn on Typhoons until Feb, 1945 when he transferred to RCAF.
    Where did he come from in Canada, where/when did he train in UK and what was his RCAF service number and other posting please.
    Thanks for all help,
    Roy

Hello sir . My name is Greg Cahill and my mothers name was Doris A. Cahill , but before she met my father she was married to Felix . My (step) brother Jim Cryderman was 16 years older than me . We got along great . Both my father Donald C. Cahill , Doris and Jimmy have passed on . I remember reading Felix's logbook when I was 10 or so and it so inspired me . Images of North Africa looked so exotic to a boy born in Sudbury . I am sorry that I don't have any concrete evidence but maybe this can add something to a brave young man's legacy . He contracted malaria in North Africa and from the paper clippings I remember reading in my fathers bottom drawer , this may have contributed to his fatal last flight . He was a bush pilot and saved many natives , prospecters , and just lost peoples lives in the northern Ontario bush . He flew in medicine and other supplies to isolated northern communities and survived a plane crash after going threw a lake that had insufficient ice thickness . I remember the photo of his ski equipped Norseman(?) with just the tail end sticking out of the lake . It was framed

Cheers for now.

Thanks

Felix Cryderman was a very courageous airman, after his service in WWII he became a bush pilot. On 23-12-48 he was flying Bellanca 31-55A Skyrocket on a rescue mission to save 7 Indians and children when his a/c crashed through the ice at Chorous lake. He grabbed emergency food and took it to the Indians and the following morning set out to walk 60 miles to Geraldton in very hostile conditions. He wrote FOOD in the snow and was rescued after 5 days. What a hero.
    On 18-6-49 while working for Austin Airlines he was killed in Fairchild 71, CF-AWP when it stalled on take off from a Lake near Nakina, Ontario.
    Do you know where he was educated please and his address in Sudbury and where he was buried in Sudbury.
    Best wishes,
    Roy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Nixon1 View Post
    Felix Cryderman was a very courageous airman, after his service in WWII he became a bush pilot. On 23-12-48 he was flying Bellanca 31-55A Skyrocket on a rescue mission to save 7 Indians and children when his a/c crashed through the ice at Chorous lake. He grabbed emergency food and took it to the Indians and the following morning set out to walk 60 miles to Geraldton in very hostile conditions. He wrote FOOD in the snow and was rescued after 5 days. What a hero.
    On 18-6-49 while working for Austin Airlines he was killed in Fairchild 71, CF-AWP when it stalled on take off from a Lake near Nakina, Ontario.
    Do you know where he was educated please and his address in Sudbury and where he was buried in Sudbury.
    Best wishes,
    Roy
    Felix Cryderman is buried in the Anglican Cemetery in Sudbury, Ontario. There is a picture of his gravemarker on the Canadian Gravemarker Gallery website at:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....n/page0003.htm

My father also was an RAF pilot then hired on as bushpilot and area manager for Austin Airways in Geraldton and Nakina in the early 50s. Larry Milberry of canavbooks.com has an excellant write up on the Fairchild CF-AWP in his book Austin Airways: Canada's Oldest Airline Larry Milberry (1985)

Thanks

Thank you all, I am sorry about the delay but my PC has been playing up.

Thanks

Hi Roy,

Cryderman is mentioned several times in David Ince's memoir 'Brotherhood of the Skies' (Grub Street, 2010). He became a F/Cdr in the early post-war period but apparently refused to fly! He returned to Canada soon after.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks

Thanks for that info Bruce, he was a gutsy airman and not to be forgotten. He flew for Austin Airlines.
    Best wishes,
    Roy