Thread: This one's got me stumped...

Thanks

Default This one's got me stumped...

On 5 November 1944, the 41 Squadron ORB records that the Squadron was released due to poor weather but that a brains trust was held at Intelligence with the engineering Kings. There's no further entry for the day.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any idea what this entry implies? It's got me stumped. They were based at Lympne at the time, if that helps.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Probably means they went to the pub ;-)

Linzee

Thanks

Steve, my previous post although made half in jest but also with half a thought that it might have been someone with a sense of humour writing the ORB at the time may not be far off the mark.

If you read the entry on Wikepedia for 'The Brains Trust' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brains_Trust (I always urge caution with Wikipedia info but lets just take the general jist of it), it would appear that there was a popular informational BBC radio programme named The Brain Trust which was broadcast on a Sunday - I think I'm correct in thinking that 5th November 1944 was in fact a Sunday?

Whether the Squadron gathered round a wireless to listen to it or whether they might have put together their own version of the format for entertainment I don't know, however, it could explain the entry in your ORB. Or of course I could be barking up completely the wrong tree!!! Always possible :-)

Will leave it with you to ponder or maybe someone else has something more sensible to add.

Linzee

Thanks

Hi Steve
    As Linzee points out the "Brains Trust" was a long running radio programme in which people ,regarded as having better brains than the rest of us, were drawn together to discuss various topics and draw conclusions about them. I seem to recall the name of a Prof C Joad as one of the regulars. The term Brains Trust became a term in it's own right for any gathering of people to sort out a problem ,technical, social, political whatever. I suspect that your ORB refers to such a gathering to sort out Servicing problems on the Sqn, that it was impromptu, taking advantage of the Sqn standown, and may well have been in the pub to allow all qualified ranks to contribute. the only reservation I would have about it taking place in a Public place would be the possibility of being overheard by non service people."Careless TALK" as the posters said!! I see from your post that it took place in "Intelligence" which suggests somewhere on the Station
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 20th February 2009 at 08:26.

Thanks

Just to complicate matters further, 'Intelligence' was the slang name for the NAAFI hut at at least one early-war fighter station.

Bruce

Thanks

I agree with Dick on this one, being just old enough to remember references to this radio programme. 'Brains trust' went into the language for decades but seems to have drifted out of use now.

Thanks

Guy Gibson comments in his book 'Enemy Coast Ahead' (midway through chapter 3) that the Station Commander and the Sqn Ldr Administrative Officer were referred to as 'the Brains Trust'.

So maybe it was a meeting between these people, the senior Engineering Officers, and the Intellligence Officer?

Thanks

Thanks all

So it looks like it was likely nothing more than a briefing with the engineers... not overly exciting, so I wonder why it made it to the ORB that day? Perhaps "Brains Trust" was just the in-joke at the time as a name for an intelligence briefing, and whoever was writing the ORB thought it was funny!

I appreciate your input as I had no idea what it meant and had never heard of the "Brains Trust" before. Thanks guys.

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm