Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Service records

Thanks

Default RAF Service records

Hi,
    I'm sorry to post what must be a really basic question, but I'd like some advice please.
    I'm about to apply to the RAF Disclosures Sect at RAF Cranwell for a relative's service records (I have NOK consent). Is there a sensible list of anything else I might ask for while I do this? I understand they do not volunteer what they have so any tips on a good checklist I might request would be most gratefully received.
    Thanks so much!
    John

Thanks

Hi John

I regularly get records from Cranwell for other people and as far as I'm aware you will get everything they keep, so there's no point in asking for anything else, they woun't have it.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks! Very helpful.
    John

Thanks

Malcolm,

Can you advise what you generally receive when you make a request for a record from Cranwell? As far as I was aware the Service Records are not released to anyone other than next of kin - which has to be proved - and all I have ever heard of anyone getting is a couple of photocopied A3 sheets of paper, would be very interested to hear if your experience differs - maybe things have changed in recent years?

Thanks & Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Malcolm,

Last November(2008) I applied for a copy of a friends relatives WWII RAFservice records from RAF Cranwell with n.o.k certificate and in January this year received back two large sheets of paper. The first had information, from top to bottom about the individuals postings, detachments, promotions, leave, conduct etc. The second sheet of paper was blank. They were actual scanned copies of the originals. I also received a list of RAF service abbreviations and what they stood for to help decipher the records. I would also be very interested to know if they are now issuing more than the the two basic record sheets? Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 25th February 2009 at 18:00. Reason: additional info

Thanks

I have a copy of a recently requested RAF service record...and it extends to 3 pages!! I know I've whinged on about this in the past, but last night I was doing some research in the Australian National Archives, where I was able to look at and download official reports of all the accidents in Tiger Moths for all the EFTSs for the whole of the war years plus associated Air Board (Casualty Section) letters, and the ORBs for the SFTSs. What a difference to our lot!!!! Makes you weep.
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Hello Max,
    Was the third RAF record page an extension to an earlier or was it something different?
    Norman

Thanks

I think it will depend on the length of service how much you get. The one's I have were killed in 1940 so, only one sheet of A3 scanned from the original and printed both sides. Tight packed with information. No list of abbreviations though.
    Neither do you have to be related. You only have to prove that there is no NOK or, if there are, get written permission from them and enclose it with the form. It costs about 30 now though.
    I have a relatives record from the Australian Archive, all 15 pages of it plus photographs. Cost me nothing I only requested it to be digitised. I think they make a charge now though.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Hello Robert,
    I was interested in how you prove there is no next of kin? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you
    Norman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    Hello Max,
    Was the third RAF record page an extension to an earlier or was it something different?
    Norman

Yes, as Robert said, the longer the service, the more there is.
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453