Thread: Raids on Schweinfurt on 24./25.02.1944

Thanks

Default Raids on Schweinfurt on 24./25.02.1944

Hi all!
    Need your help. Who can tell me exactly how many B-17 has been dispatched on February 24, 1944 during the raid on Schweinfurt deep in the heart of Germany to cripple the ball bearing industry, how many of these B-17 has bombed Schweinfurt and how many aircrafts has been lost on the raid on Schweinfurt?
    In the night the RAF followed with a double strike. Who can tell me how many aircrafts has been dispatched in each of the two raids and how many has bombed Schweinfurt.
    In the records there are listed 33 lost A/c, but according to Chorley 35 lost aircrafts are listed. Who can explain me the discpreance?
    Living south of Schweinfurt and doing investigations about the bomb war in WW2 in my area.

Thanks in advance for all support.

Norbert Vollmann (Germany)

norbertvollmann@t-online.de

Thanks

Hi Norbert
    From the Mighty Eighth War Diary by Roger A Freeman the Americans sent 266 A/C to Schweinfurt with 238 labelled as effective.The difference is from a/c that returned or crashed before leaving the UK airspace, failed to reach the target etc. Of the total they lost 11. From the Bomber Command War Diaries by Middlebrook and Everitt the RAF sent 734 a/c to Schweinfurt during the night of 24-25/2/44 and lost 33 from the main bombing force. They also operated many a/c on minelaying and ECM Operations and diversions and lost a further 3.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Dick!
    Thanks a lot for your help and support. Excellent!

Norbert