Thread: Tactics for Attacking the Me262

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Tactics for Attacking the Me262

I have noted in my reading (ORB, Combat Reports, Intelligence Reports) and accounts from pilots that when attacked by, or attacking, an Me262 in a Spit the method was generally to turn to face them head-on, which sounds logical as a chase would have been pointless due to the Me262's superior speed.

Can anyone confirm whether this was an official tactic that was taught to the pilots, or whether it was passed on, gained from experience, or potentially point me in the direction of a source for an answer to my query?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

I can't directly answer your question, but going head on against 4x30mm cannon doesn't sound healthy. Given the gyro gun sight, the chances of a hit from a high-deflection shot would be much improved over earlier sights, so it may be a matter of whether "head on" actually means directly so or not.

Thanks

Does anyone know the rate of fire from 20 mm and 30 mm cannon?

Jim

Thanks

Jim,

Williams' & Gustin's 'Flying Guns, World War II - Development of Aircraft Guns, Ammunition and Installations 1933-45' has some excellent appendices that provide this and many other ueful gun specifications.

The German RhB MK 108 is shown as having a rate of fire of 600-650 rpm.

For the Brits, the Hispano was 600 (Mk.I/II (HS 404) and 750 (Mk.V), respectively.

Errol

Thanks

Steve, you always try to turn under the attacking enemy, though the turn was in opposite direction for Fw 190 or Me 109 attack. In regard of attack on a jet, I only know of V1 rules, but I guess the pilot had just to keep enough altitude to dive down on a jet. Poles got few Me 262s over Hamburg just this way.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Common practice to turn in to an attack. Limits the time to fire and make accurate shooting very hard especially in this case as the MK108 was quite a low velocity weapon so accurate deflection shooting would be even more difficult.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum