Thread: 61 Sqn ORB - LM454

Thanks

Default 61 Sqn ORB - LM454

Good afternoon,

I have been trawling through the 50 Sqn / 61 Sqn Roll of Honour. There are two names on the 61 Sqn roll that I don't have a circumstance for. Sgt James J Hanley and Sgt Henry S Slow are both listed as crew on Lancaster LM454, they are both remembered on the Runnymede Memorial as dying on 24 February 1944. Bomber Command Losses doesn't have a record. The Air Britain LA100-LZ999 records that LM454 caught fire returning from Augsburg on 24 Feb, and was SOC. Mason records similar.

(Posting on the Lancaster forum and subsequent checking in BCL confirms that the aircraft was damaged when the Gee box caught fire, but was not SOC and carried on until being lost on 11/12 May 44)

Therefore, I'm guessing that the fire caused two of the crew to bale out?

One slight twist is that BCL and the BC War Diaries say that the Augsburg operation was 25/26 Feb...

Can anyone check the 61 Sqn ORB and see what it says?

Thanks

Jim

Thanks

Jim,
    There's an old thread on this forum,(19/11/03) that suggests that the damage was done on 24th Feb 44 on ops to Schweinfurt, via Steve Smith and AM Form 78 declared Cat FB/E1 on 26/02/44 and SOC 31/05/44.

Thanks

Cheers Alan.

I've looked at that now via a Google advanced search.

Thanks

Hi Jim
    The idea that the 2 left the a/c could be a good one as their names are recorded in BCL Vol 9 the Roll of Honour, but with no commensurate loss in Vol 5 (1944) they clearly did not survive. The date is given as 24/2/44. 61 Sqn lost a Lancaster on that night on an op to Schweinfurt, the Augsburg op being the following night.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Dick,

The roll lists each casualty with the aircraft involved. These two both have LM454. I understand that the roll was compiled using the 540s, so I suspect in there the answer will become clear.

If I don't get any joy on here I'll add it to the next PRO visit.

Thanks

.....................and please Jim, keep us involved after your PRO visit.
    Regards,
    Henk.