Thread: Sgt Clarence Douglas Rhys Verrier - 1313490 - Died 26/8/44 - Aberbeeg Cemetery

Thanks

Default Sgt Clarence Douglas Rhys Verrier - 1313490 - Died 26/8/44 - Aberbeeg Cemetery

Hello to you all,

Can some kind soul provide me with any information of the loss of the above airmen. Also found his name in Thorne83's thread in the sister forum to this site. Also there is a photo of Sgt Verrier on the RAF Massingham homepage of it's website as they board a Boston aircraft.

Any information will be gratefully received, hope you are all having a good sunday - as it is here - as I know that there are many posters from all over the world attending this website.

Take care all.

Steve.

Thanks

26/08/1944 Anson DJ663 3 OAFU struck trees at Six Ashes. F/Sgt M F Cox, Sgt C D R Verrier, F/O N E Trusty, P/O J L Staples were all killed and P/O A J Welham was injured.

http://www.couplandbell.com/marg/crashes1944.htm

A

Thanks

Hi Steve
    To follow Amrit's post, No 3 OAFU was an Advanced flying unit for Observers and was based at Halfpenny Green in Staffs close to Bobbington (Sturtivant- Flying Training and Support Units since 1912). The 4 he reports as killed are all registered at Bridgenorth, Shropshire which is the right area for the crash site which is about 3 mls SW of the airfield.CWGC have a Staples but as James C Staples with a date of death of 10/12/44. He is also registered at Bridgenorth and may well have died of injuries at a later date. There was a Military Hospital,I believe, at Bridgenorth
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 1st March 2009 at 20:28.

Thanks

Hello all, the aircraft came down on Lindridge Farm right on the border of Shrops/Staffs. F/Sgt Cox, Sgt Verrier and F/O 'Norm' Trusty were all killed instantly. P/O A J 'Jack' Welham and P/O Joseph Lorne Staples, RCAF were both seriously injured. Jack Welham succumbed from his injuries two days later in RAF Bridgnorth Hospital while Joe Staples survived the war and returned to Canada. He died in December 2000.

James Cecil Staples that Dick refers to was killed on Anson NK448 of 575 Squadron which crashed into Brown Clee Hill in South Shropshire.

Steve, can i just ask how you know that the photo on Massingham's website is the same Verrier?

Cheers, Tom

Ps If you want further details on the accident i would be happy to provide, but you may only be after the above details.

Thanks

Default Sgt Clarence Douglas Rhys Verrier - 1313490 - Died 26/8/44 - Aberbeeg Cemetery

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies to my thread much appreciated as always. Hi Tom, it was a slip of the typing finger, it should have read:-

Also there is a photo of a Sgt Verrier... Sorry for the confusion. Obviously, it may be another Verrier within the RAF and there is another Verrier casualty on the CWGC website. So forgive me for my unfortunate error.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

Default sgt C.D.R Verrier

Hello to All
    I often have a look in at various cemetries here in South Wales
    as I am interested in the architecure of the Church buildings
    and Family History during research I have come across several
    War graves most ecently SGT C.D.R VERRIER RAF
    I have taken a photograph if anyone would like a copy
    Regards
    robert hughes