Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400614 - Unaccounted airman - 14-6-1940

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airman - 14-6-1940

What caused the death of Sgt (Pilot) Charles D. PERRY - 561615 - DFM, died of wounds or injuries received in action, previously reported wounded or injured in action (Flight Global), buried Benson (or Bensington) [St.Helen] Churchyard Ext., Oxfordshire (UK2963).
    Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,
    Bensington is the old name for the place. It has been shortened to Benson since at least the middle of the 19th C. They are, basically, the same place - but it is possible to get into "discussions" with "The Locals" as to which bit is Benson and which bit is Bensington.
    But, if I may advise, this is something I think you should try to avoid if at all possible!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Henk

death is registered at Rowley Regis, Staffs. Possibly Oxford R6246.11 FTS crashed at Lichfield 8/6/1940.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Henk

The CWGC entry mentions 103 Squadron. Citation for his DFM mentions an attack in May 1940 during which Perry was seriously wounded in the thigh and stomach. Strangely enough the date of his award is 14/6/1940.

Thanks

Henk

Wounded 14/5/1940. Died of his wounds. pp39 'Black Swan' Sid Finn

Thanks

Hi Gents, if you're interested i have the pilot of Oxford R6246 as Sgt Wood - stated in the 11 FTS ORB as on the DI list but recovering. I haven't checked the accident card for the incident though, so i dont know what his initials or service number are i'm afraid. The location is given as Muckley Corner, Whittington, near Lichfield also.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

From Franks' "Valient Wings" (page 130)

14 May

"At Bethenville, 103 Squadron were on stand-by at 3.30 (am) and eight Battles began to take off at 5.05, led by Flying Officer J R Havers. They flew to the target area and found four bridges over the Meuse and one across the River Cheres within a radius of six miles of Sedan.

Attacking these bridges, one hit was claimed on one bridge a mile north of Villers but although the others were bombed, no more than near misses could be claimed. Hurricanes were above, but no enemy fighters were in evidence, and all eight Battles returned, although ground fire did hit one Battle. This was crewed by Sergeant C D Parry* and AC A R Layfield, possibly Battle P2191. Charles Parry was severly wounded in the thigh and stomach but brought his machine back to the vicinity of the aerodome before having to force-land when he felt he was about to pass out. He was later awarded the DFM"

* Franks alternates between PErry and PArry

A

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airman 14-6-1940

Thanks all for info on Sgt Perry.
    Benson (or Bensington): sorry Peter, this is how it's listed by the CWGC; have no idea about UK geography.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default Sgt. Perry

Srgt. Charles David Perry is my paternal grandfather. The information I have is similar to that I recently viewed in this forum-Fairy Battle hit with flak while on a mission May 14, 1940, wounds to abdominal area resulted in death after landing and saving two crew members-resulting in DFM which is in my father's possession. I am in possession of numerous photos and awards from his training days, station in Iraq (1930's) and a couple I believe to be from France or shortly before. His grave site is in Benson (St. Helen's Churchyard extension as per CWGC info.) His widow Kay Perry (Estow) emigrated to Canada where his two sons and their childeren currently reside (Victoria/Vanocuver, BC).

Thanks

Default The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

UPGRADE to Sydney Hague 953419, attached to RAF Tangmere, he died in Haslar hospital of meningitis of the nasal septum after being admitted seriously ill 4 days previously