Thread: S/Ldr. Edward John Saunderson DFC

Thanks

Default S/Ldr. Edward John Saunderson DFC

Hi All,

I am currently researching S/Ldr. E. J. Saunderson (no. 84319) and was hoping someone could fill in some gaps with his career. All I know so far is he trained to fly Wellingtons and was posted to 115 Squadron at Marham flying at least 20 ops.

After that, he converted to Mosquitos & was posted to 627 Squadron at Oakington (1943). He also flew with 692 Squadron at Gravely (where I think he won the DFC). After the war I think he was a Test Pilot for a number of years but have no further information on this.

I am aware he won a DFC but believe he also won a DSO, a bar the the DFC and was mentioned in despatches but although I can find his DFC in the LG (plus his rise in ranks), I cannot find anything else.

He also set up a 'Middle East Unit' ??

I was hoping for info on the DSO, DFC and MID and possibly his post war career a a test pilot. Anything else would be good too!!

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

He appears to have gotten his DSO within a week of his DFC. Can't find any mention of a bar to the DFC

Distinguished Flying Cross
    Gazette Issue 36550 published on the 2 June 1944. Page 1 of 4
    No citation

Acting Squadron Leader Edward John SAUNDERSON (84319), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,
    No. 692 Squadron.

Distinguished Service Order
    Gazette Issue 36560 published on the 9 June 1944. Page 4 of 4
    No citation

Acting Squadron Leader Edward John SAUNDERSON (84319), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 692 Squadron.

Thanks

Russ,

Maton's 'Honour the Air Forces' confirms what Amrit has posted, i.e. no bar to a DFC being awarded - at least not during WWII anyway.

Errol

Thanks

His MiD was LGd 5th June 1942. No unit or details

Thanks

Default Saunderson

There was no postwar Bar to DFC and I cannot supply a citation or recommendation to his DFC. Re his DSO, the following may help:

SAUNDERSON, Edward John, S/L, DFC (84319, Royal Air Force) - No.692 Squadron - Distinguished Service Order - awarded as per London Gazette dated 13 June 1944. Born 1918 in Southampton; home in Newberry, Berkshire. Enlisted 1938; commissioned 1940. Awarded DFC, 6 June 1944 for services with No.692 Squadron. Joint citation covering award of two DSOs, one Bar to DFC and nine DFCs. See entry for W/C S.D. Watts.

WATTS, Stephen Delaney, W/C, DFC (NZ 404008, Royal New Zealand Air Force) - No.692 Squadron - Distinguished Service Order - awarded as per London Gazette dated 13 June 1944. Joint citation covering award of two DSOs, one Bar to DFC and nine DFCs.

"One night in May 1944, several crews of Mosquito aircraft were detailed for a difficult and dangerous mine-laying mission. The operation called for the highest standard of skill and accuracy. In the face of intense anti-aircraft fire, balloon defences and considerable searchlight activity the attack was pressed home with great precision from low level. That complete success was achieved in spite of such hazards is a high tribute to the calm courage and iron determination shown by the following officers were participated in various capacities as leaders and members of aircraft crew."

Thanks

Thanks very much for this information Hugh, Errol and Amrit, it is very much appreciated!!

I know I must be showing my ignorance here but is a joint citation normal practice, especially for a DSO. (The only personal reference of a similar award is that of my cousin who was awarded a DCM in WWI and that was very much a personal citation).

As far as the 'Middle East Unit' is concerned, I think this was a Ferry unit.

Many thanks again,

Russ

Thanks

Russ,

"is a joint citation normal practice"

No, but not unknown.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol!!

Thanks

Russ,

Saunderson was Sergeant 741978 when he was commissioned 24/8/1940 84319 P/O.
    (London Gazette - search)

His NCO number tells me he enlisted in the RAFVR around August 1938.

He was awarded the Air Efficiency Award as an Acting Squadron Leader 31/5/1945
    'The Air efficiency award 1942-2005- Nominal Roll - Christopher Brooks'

Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marks View Post
    Russ,

Saunderson was Sergeant 741978 when he was commissioned 24/8/1940 84319 P/O.
    (London Gazette - search)

His NCO number tells me he enlisted in the RAFVR around August 1938.

Mark
    A New Zealander in my records with the number 741834 enlisted as an AC2, u/t Pilot, RAFVR on 23 Jul 38, promoted next day to Sgt, did 'weekend flying' Jul 38-May 39, 'full time flying' May-Sep 39, mobilised 2 Sep 39 and was 'remustered Pilot' 6 Sep 39.

Perhaps Saunderson's career commenced in similar fashion?

Errol