Thread: planes used by No. 1 B.F.T.S., Terrell, Texas, U.S.A.

Thanks

Default planes used by No. 1 B.F.T.S., Terrell, Texas, U.S.A.

hello,

I'm wondering what were the planes used by No. 1 British Flying Training School, based at Terrell, Texas, in 1942. From pictures I've seen (thanks to a tip in the other section of the board), I see that the pupils were flying Harvard and Stearmanns. But I'm puzzled by this double equipment. Would this B.F.T.S. be the equivalent of a Service Flying Training School, or a more general one combining both Elementary and Service F.T.S. ?

I'm looking for the course number, or dates in/out, or date of award of flying brevet of a course in 1942, of which Michael Howard Shelton was a pupil. Some early commissions from this course are : Ian Alexander Calthrop CAMPBELL (gazette published 6/11/42), Anthony Charles William FAIRHEAD and William Ernest Gifford HUMPHREY (23/10/42), Charles Georges LAWRENCE, Hugh Blair McCREADY and Raphael Raymund McNAIR-TAYLOR (9/10/42, commission with effect from 10 August 1942), Gerald Edward STUBBINGS (27/10/42)

Several coursemates were also killed : LAC Geoffrey Mark HARRIS, 17/9/42, LAC Thomas TRAVERS and Allan Samuel GADD, both 27/10/42. Any details welcome.

I'm puzzled by the fact that these three accidents occured after the commissions of 3 of their comrades, as in those cases, the date of commission is usually the date of the flying brevet. I think they may have been in following courses, hence the initial question.

Thanks in advance for any help

Joss

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Joss
    1 BFTS was a mix of EFTS and SFTS as you suggest. The EFTS part was flown with the Stearman PT17 and the more advanced flying took place in BT13A's and AT6's

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

hello Eddie,

Thanks for confirming. That could explain there were several courses following each other, and thus making it difficult, so far, to have additional details about the 'content' of each course.

I know there are some files about Kew, but not sure all BFTS are covered. Will check the online catalogue.

Cheers

Joss