Thread: Bomber Command – France – August 1940

Thanks

Default Bomber Command – France – August 1940

Bonjour,

I am looking for details regarding Squadrons of Blenheims IV having carried out night operations on airfields of central France in mid August 1940 and more especially about these dates and Bourges airfield:

19-20 August – 37 A/C for night attacks on airfields in France, Holland, Belgium ….21 airfields bombed. Chateauroux, Bourges, Orleans-Bricy, Chateaudun…

22-23 August – 33 A/C – Harassing night attacks on enemy occupied airfields and again…Bourges, Chateauroux, Orleans, Tours.

24-25 August – 25 A/C – Airfields in France, Holland, Belgium and among those Bourges airfield where a note says: “Bomb burst were observed on hangars.”

I do not know if the participation of Bomber Command in the Battle of Britain is well known but perhaps somebody will be able to help me to know more about these night attacks.

All the best,
    Frederic

Thanks

Hi Frederic
    I can only offer a very general start to your search from a book "The Bristol Blenheim a Complete History" by Graham Warner 2nd Edition published in 2005.The information is very general and records that during the period of the Battle of Britain,Blenheims attacked enemy-held airfields on 23 days with a/c from 15,83,105,107,110,114 139 and 218 Sqns and on 13 nights by 15,18,82,101,107,110,114 and 218 Sqns. The Bomber Blenheims came from No 2 Group. The airfields are not identified. It might be worth looking for a book that was written about 2 Group via somewhere like Bookfinder. I can't, unfortunately, recall the Author or Publisher.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Bomber Command France 1940

2 Group RAF a Complete History 1936-1945 by Michael JF Bowyer published by Crecy

Thanks

Bonjour and thanks a lot for your answers.

I know Squadrons now but I think that it will be necessary for me to go to visit English archives to obtain all information which I am looking for. For the time being some of my information about these attacks comes from an excellent book “The Other Few: Bomber and Coastal Command Operations in the Battle of Britain” by Larry Donnelly - Red Kite / Air Research. Very nice.

Again, merci beaucoup.
    Greetings from France,
    Frederic