Thread: F/O FJ Eisberg and Sgt WJ Meredith, 514 Sqn

Thanks

Default F/O FJ Eisberg and Sgt WJ Meredith, 514 Sqn

I am trying to trace F/O Frederick Eisberg and Sgt WJ Meredith who served in 514 Sqn between June and November 1944. F/O Eisberg was a POW after his a/c was shot down on 21.11.44. Sgt. Meredith was initially with the crew (pilot was Sgt then P/O Geoffrey France, my great uncle Peter Gosnold was Flt Engineer) but swapped with P/O Peter Slater who was killed with the rest of the crew except F/O Eisberg and P/O France.

I know that F/O Eisberg survived the war and it appears that Sgt. Meredith finished his tour.

Any leads much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Default WJ Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Robo283 View Post
    I am trying to trace F/O Frederick Eisberg and Sgt WJ Meredith who served in 514 Sqn between June and November 1944. F/O Eisberg was a POW after his a/c was shot down on 21.11.44. Sgt. Meredith was initially with the crew (pilot was Sgt then P/O Geoffrey France, my great uncle Peter Gosnold was Flt Engineer) but swapped with P/O Peter Slater who was killed with the rest of the crew except F/O Eisberg and P/O France.

I know that F/O Eisberg survived the war and it appears that Sgt. Meredith finished his tour.

Any leads much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Robo I just came across this post, the person in question is my grandfather, if you could let me know what info you ar looking for I will see if I can help, u can email me on cjm1@cjm111.fsnt.co.uk

Thanks

Hello,

I have some parts from No. 514 Squadron ORB (digital pictures of the screen of the microfilm reader at The National Archives in Kew) and I've just made a quick search.

I see that during the night 5/6 July 1944, for the raid against Watten, F/Sgt G.C. FRANCE flew as second pilot, with W/C M. WYATT, DFC as first pilot, in Lancaster I ME 8141 'H'. Navigator was P/O J.F. EISBERG, bomb aimer was P/O K.H. BARKER (Can J/29701), wireless operator was Sgt R.W.L. HARDING, mid upper gunner was Sgt W.J. MEREDITH, rear gunner was Sgt L.P. COLES and flight engineer was Sgt P.A. GOSNOLD, if I've deciphered the ORB correctly.

W/C WYATT was the Squadron Commanding Officer.

Both PoWs should have filed a PoW questionnaire, which should be found in Kew in the WO344 series. They usually have a wartime address which could be useful to start with, at least for J.F. EISBERG, as contact has just been made with a relative of Sgt MEREDITH.

I'm quite interested in this thread as this crew flew alongside a couple of crews which came down in my area (northern France) during the summer of 1944, and has sometimes flown on the Lancaster bombers which were lost (Lancaster LM277 'F' for example).

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 8th January 2010 at 08:35.

Thanks

I would like to add what my mate Axel Heyermann of Moers/Germany has found out on the Homberg raid:

"In the history of Kamp-Lintfort, Nov. 21. 1944 became notorious as the Black Tuesday. In the morning hours 160 Lancaster bombers of 3. Group took off from their bases in East England. The bomb run began appr. 15.00 hrs. Exactly above Kamp-Lintfort Lancaster LM 684 of 514. Sqn., flown by F/O Limbert, was hit by flak. The bomb aimer jettisoned the bomb load in emergency and the bomber crashed. The whole crew died. These bombs fell into residentials of Kamp-Lintfort. Some following bombers were misled and dropped their bomb load into the city as well. 74 civilians died within the destroyed buildings. Yet most of the bombers found their target and damaged the plant repeatedly."

My addition:
    The target Homberg means the fuel plant "Rheinpreussen" at Meerbeck, between Moers and Duisburg. LM 684, JI-C crashed next to a heavy flak emplacement named "Grossbatterie Daubenspeckhof" (the latter is a huge farm appr. 1 km NW Moers City Centre). PD 265, JI-G (whose crash the F/O´s Eisberg and France survived) crashed into the trench around Grafschafter Castle in the City Center of Moers, next to today´s town hall. The two survivors were conveyed to Camp L 1 (StaLag Bonn-Duisdorf).
    Amazingly enough, the German salvaging reports (KE-Bericht) are apparently available at the US National Archives (KE 10012, KE 10013, J 2485).

Hoping this was of interest and assistance, George