Thread: Corkscrew

Thanks

Default Corkscrew

This evasive manoeuvre gets mentioned a lot, even in the book "I flew with Braddock" ....... oh those childhood memories.

I know it involved a dive to port or starboard followed by a steep climb, but did the aircraft actually role at the top of the climb, then continue the corkscrew on the otherside?

Was it possible to roll a Lancaster, Halifax, Wellington?

Also I would have thought that the corkscrewing aircraft would be in a vunerable, low energy state at the top of the climb,

Are there any training films that show this manoeuvre?

Wimpy

Thanks

Default Corkscrew

Hello Wimpy,

Laurie Woods has on his 460 Sqn RAAF website, a drawing how to practise corkscrewing.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsls7ld/oper_flying.html

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Wimpy,
    I don't know about the Halifax or Wellington but, it was possible to roll a Lanc, (although not recommended).It was always advisable for the pilot to alert the rest of the crew before carrying out this manouvre, they tended to get a little upset if they suddenly found themselves looking UP at the ground! Navigators in particular were apt to get somewhat irate when pencils, rubbers, protractors, etc suddenly vacated the chart table and, invariably, took refuge in the dark inaccessable corners of the fuselage!

Thanks

Default Corkscrew

As upset as the navigator on a Lancaster might have been I would venture to say that he would rather pick up pencils and the like than be anywhere near the Elsan.

Anybody near that marvelous contraption would undoubtedly find themselves confined to the darkest, most inaccessible parts of the squadron.

Thanks

Alieneyes, That is a very astute observation!
    Being serious again, if I remember correctly Alex Henshaw in his book "Sigh for a Merlin" mentions rolling a Lancaster on a test flight from Castle Bromwich.

Thanks

But the answer is Wimpy, no the Lancaster wasn't rolled at the top of the corkscrew, the manoeuvre was violent enough already!
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Coastal Command Hudson demonstrates corkscrew (among other things) in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9ZmLE84jQ