Thread: Finding Places of Births of Deceased Airmen

Thanks

Default Finding Places of Births of Deceased Airmen

Hi everyone,

On checking some entries within the CWGC website I have come across names - possibly Welsh in origin - who give names of the parents and also the name of the spouse and where the lady lived as in the following:-

Name: HUGHES, HUGH GLANVOR
    Initials: H G
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 254 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 24/06/1940
    Service No: 580302
    Additional information: Son of Hugh Jones Glanvor Hughes and Perry Hughes; husband of Muriel Hughes, of Wallasey, Cheshire.

Maybe Mr and Mrs Hughes lived in Cheshire but if they did not how can I find where the Airman was born? I have used the freeBMD website but found no entries for Sgt Hughes.

Could some kind soul point me in the right direction to help in this matter.

Kindest Regards.

Steve.

(Sgt Hughes' information courtesy of the CWGC website).

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Your treading in the world of the genealogist now, so be careful lest ye never return.

If your having trouble finding his birth or death, try looking up the marriage registrations which are full of information. Try to find the marriage of the fellow himself, which will confirm his birth place and both sets of parents names and then look up his parents marriage. You can estimate dates from his age. He was born about 1912, which means his parents were married before that. They would have been born around the 1880s. He was likely married a few years before the war so that will narrow down your search in the indexes. Then it's trial and error until you find them.

For example, in the Free BMDs I have found a Muriel Freeman who married a man named Hughes in Cheshire in 1934, which would make him about 22 at the time, so that's quite possible. Once you have that, you need to order the birth registration certificate from the GRO to see if his parents names are the same.

Some of the fellows here have access to the Ancestry site (I only have a Canadian subscription at the moment) and might be able to help. There are lots of genealogy sites to help you learn the procedures. One of the most consulted is http://www.genuki.org.uk/.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 8th March 2009 at 04:29.
    David

Thanks

Steve,
    Hugh G Hughes, mother's maiden name Edwards, registered at Festiniog within the period July-Sept 1911, volume 11b, page 675.
    This is the only Hugh G Hughes i could find between Jan 1911 and Dec 1912. Copies of birth Certs are £7 ordered online from GRO.
    Last edited by AlanW; 8th March 2009 at 06:27.

Thanks

Hi Steve
    Alan has probably found the most likely, but there are 3 other possibles,all in the list simply as Hugh G Hughes, as is Alan's
    2nd Qtr 1912, registered in Anglesey, Mother's Maiden Name-Jones
    1st Qtr 1913, registered in Merthyr Tydfil, Maiden Name- Williams
    3rd Qtr 1913,registered in Pwllheli, Maiden Name- Owen and all clearly Welsh
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Not only is he venturing into the world of genealogy, but more importantly WELSH genealogy! I've spent many days toiling over my Welsh roots.....Kathryn Jones, daughter of David Jones, the son of Thomas Jones and his wife Mary Thomas. It's tough!

Anyway, the Hugh G Hughes i could find in the time frame were:

Hugh G Hughes born 3rd quarter of 1911 in Ffestiniog, mothers maiden name Edwards.
    Hugh G Hughes born 2nd quarter of 1912 in Carnarvon, mothers maiden name Jones
    Hugh G Hughes born 1st quarter of 1913 in Merthyr Tydfil mothers maiden name Williams.

Now i have had a quick look for a marriage between a Hugh Hughes and a Perry (?) but couldn't come up with anything. Interestingly though i came across a H J Glanvor Hughes married to Perry Hughes in the 1901 Welsh census though with no children but 3 servants! Only thing is Glanvor Hughes is 50 at the time and Perry is 35, but its still possible and its an quite an unusual name to go on with the same initials? They were living at 22 Capran (?), Llanfechall, Anglesey.

This one needs a bit more work, but i'm afraid i'm off out for a bit, so someone else might like to take the baton!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom, Dick, Alan and Steve,

Thanks for the replies very interesting indeed. I know that Genealogy can be a minefield to unravel and a painstaking hobby too. But I will take all your advice onboard and checkout various things you have mentioned. Researching something which you are interested in always takes time anyway, so a bit more digging around, is as I see it part and parcel of the process. So I seem to have a long road ahead of me.

I have come across quite a few of these entries where the spouse is from another area of the UK but the Airman is Welsh in probability. Tom, I don't envy you with a surname like Jones to pursue, as you know most people you talk to here has a Jones or a Davies in the family somewhere.

Thanks again gentlemen much appreciated.

Steve.

Thanks

I don't think the free BMD has many marriages after 1925/30 as they have not been indexed into the www yet. You may have to go to your local main library or county record office to look through the "St. Catherine's Index" which is the old microfilm version and just trawl through. Once you "get your eye in" to the microfilm it doesn't take too long. They are in blocks of four for each year. Take an estimate of when the marriage may be and then work either side of it, one year forward, one year back. You'll find the staff invariably helpful.
    Stewart