Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message header "Secret M.I.9"

Thanks

Default Message header "Secret M.I.9"

A forum member has kindly provided me with digital copies of an interrogation report for crewmembers of Hudson T9439 of 161 (SD) Squadron interned in Sweden 19 April 1944-October 1944 . Messages in the report are headed "SECRET M.I.9/S/P.G. (XXXX) REPATRIATED FROM SWEDEN"

Does the "M.I.9" in the message header refer to the British intelligence organization?

Thanks

yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MI9

Thanks

Yes, MI9 was part of British Intelligence, responsible for POWs, escapes, sending escape aides. They also played a part in assisting resistence movements, but I think this was with the escape-lines rather than the combat units.

A

Thanks

Ken, Yo,
    MI9 is the very same Int Dept.
    My copy of a "General Questionnaire For British/American Ex-Prisoners Of War" is headed TOP SECRET, M.I.9/Gen/(and then a File number), and under that MIS-X. I understand the File Ref, but I have no ideas what "MIS-X" refers to. Surprising that a Swedish repat is only SECRET, but a bog-standard Met airman's questionnaire, captured in Crete in 1941, is TOP SECRET. MI9/Gen is understandable. MI9/S/ is, probably MI9/SPECIAL. If anybody can shine any lights into this murky area then I will be very keen to read it!!!
    One "Expert" on this subject, on this Forum, is Joss Leclerq.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

interesting that you have one that has both MI9 and MIS-X. MIS-X was the American equivalent of MI9, helping US POWs.

As for Secret/Top Secret, I'd have thought Sweden only merited a Secret because it was a simple repatriation, whereas the Crete case may have involved resistance and/or local help, of which the details had to be kept very quiet for their protection.

A

Thanks

Default Mi9/mis-x

Peter,

MIS-X was the US equivalent of MI9.

See The Escape Factory: The Story of MIS-X by Lloyd Shoemaker or any of various websites found by good old Google.

ATB,

Dave

Thanks

Dave/Amrit, Hi
    Many thanks for that! The MIS-X explanation is particularly welcome! Did Commonwealth Forces PoWs also complete this Questionnaire, or did their own Govts have a similar Questionnaire? If so, where might those completed questionnaires now reside?
    There are, at the top of my foto-copy of the Questionnaire, a number of written and/or pencilled comments. (1) pencilled initials and date (23 Jul 45) in red, (2) pencilled initials and 'Nil' dated 4 Oct 45 in blue, and (3) a crossed out file ref (62776?) in blue. All the sort of things that Document Security Officers are prone to write on documents being "sifted" (been there, done it)!!!
    Tks again
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

One of the addressees on the distribution lists of the messages I referred to above was
    "P/W & Det. MIS, ETOUSA, Lt. Col. H.B.A. de Bruyne".

I assume ETOUSA is "European Theatre of Operations, United States Army"
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 9th March 2009 at 18:42.

Thanks

hello Ken,

Yes you're right.

Depending on the reference of the file in Kew, 'your' report could be an "escape & Evasion" report, (first part in the WO208 series), or a "liberation report", which follow the first ones in the WO208 series at TNA, Kew.

"The liberation reports" were either (they are mixed together in the volumes / boxes) servicemen who had known a certain kind of freedom (either before being eventually captured, or who escaped from camps but were retaken).

In the case of repatriation of internees from Sweden, I've also seen similar documents from internees in Portugal and all were evasion reports for sure. For example the airmen from the April 1942 Tirpitz raid who managed to reach Sweden from Norway (the crew of Hendon's Halifax W1048). Sgt David Lionel PERRY's report is in WO208/3312, report 1133.

As far as "Intelligence" is concerned, the reports that we can access at Kew are not the full ones, as names of helpers in the occupied countries are not given. This was sensitive material then (that's obvious) and in the following years (in case of a third world war against USSR and again occupation of the continent) but these information are still classified now... The U.S. equivalent has been "released" years ago, and names and adresses of helpers are given in full, when the evaders knew them obviously.

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MacLean View Post
    Lt. Col. H.B.A. de Bruyne".
    Henry Bernard Arthur de Bruyne, originally of the Royal Artilley, then of the Intelligence Corps, and a Personal Assistant in MI9

A