Thread: P/O Leslie John Percival Foster

Thanks

Default P/O Leslie John Percival Foster

Hi all,

Someone has just come back to me with some information about the following which I assume was posted on the old RAF Commands site by someone French!!

'There’s a project for a monument on a nearby commune to the place I live in, called Porspoder, in north west Brittany, France, and I would dearly appreciate if somebody could tell me if this following person (found in the white pages) couldn’t be a relative of Pilot Officer (Obs.) FOSTER Leslie John Percival, RAF number 68739, 35 Squadron, son of Captain Percy Allen Foster and Gertrude Elizabeth Foster, of Little Bardfield, Essex.

Foster M, Burnt Ho, Oxen End, Little Bardfield, Braintree

I’m already in touch with only one next of kin of another crew member for the moment, and we are trying to see if we could find any other of this Halifax crew.
    They would be invited to unveil the monument, would be offered a few remains from the aircraft crashed on the rocks on the sea shore on December 30th, 1941, and maybe brought to Brest by bus, if possible, to go and visit the sub marine pens, and the place where the German battle cruisers (the target of Veracity missions)were.

I already try and contact the Essex Society for Family History, without success'

If anyone knows anything about this or if the requester is still using this forum can they contact me and I will put them in touch with someone from Bardfield who has information.

Regards,

Ann

Thanks

Default FOSTER Leslie John Percival, Porspoder

Dear Ann,

Many thanks for your post. I’m the one who asked for this a long time ago now. I’ve only been in touch with the son of the pilot, Stuart Middleton. The project of a monument is still on stand by, but not abandonned.
    You can contact me at gildas4044ATfree.fr
    Thanks again.
    Gildas

Thanks

Default Foster (Linzee you might be able to help)

Hi Gildas,

The man who contacted me was Tony Forrest who I believe you have been in contact with. Not sure whether he has any more info regarding Foster. No trace of any relatives and some confusion as to why he appeared to be from Little Bardfield. However, not sure wether Linzee might be able to help as Foster appears to have flown with Linzee's granfather on one occasion and flew on the attack of the Scharnhorst as well.
    o if Linzee is around perhaps she can let us know if she might be able to dig p something through her contacts.
    Linzee I did send you an e mail but am unsure whether it is the correct one for your current e mail address!
    Gildas - will pass on your e mail address to Tony in case he doesn't have it. I'll have a poke around on some of the genealogical sites and see if I can turn up anything.

Regards,
    Ann

Thanks

Hello Ann,

Just had a look to see if there was any new answer, but saw my reply posted last 16 March didn’t pass trough, so here it is again, and sorry for that new delay.
    I checked my mail and doubt I’ve ever been in touch with Tony Forrest. Let’s see if Linzee tried to look for this airman, if he only flew once with her grand-father. She already provided the only one picture of Halifax V9979 I know, moreover taken in flight during its previous flight to Brest.
    Anyway, thanks for your offer of help. In 2003 I think, You already gave to me several addresses to try, what I did, like the Research centre in Chelmsford, or the Braintree & Witham Times, but it unfortunately turned out nothing.

The source of little Barfield was the CWGC site, FOSTER Leslie John Percival, RAF number 68739, 35 Squadron, son of Captain Percy Allen Foster and Gertrude Elizabeth Foster, of Little Bardfield, Essex.
    But I did get since that post, a scanned letter of I think a relative of P/O Foster from Wrong Farm, Great Cornard, Sudbury, to a Mr René Lecorre in Brittany. This french contact is now gone.
    I then tried a letter to « D.A.P Foster » who I found i the white pages, and seemed to live close to that place but got no answer.

Thanks again
    Gildas

Thanks

I was just doing some updates on my History of No. 35 Squadron project and wondered if there has been any progress on the monument for this loss. Also, does anyone have a copy of the photograph that is mentioned?

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello,

The photo of Halifax V9979:TL-E, is on Linzee Druce's site:

http://www.archieraf.co.uk/archie/ra...gneisenau.html

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th October 2015 at 04:31.

Thanks

Thanks Col

I will contact her to see if she is happy for me to include it on my website.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hello Pete

I was doing some research on Leslie Foster, who was my uncle or would have been if he had survived, and came across the RAFC forum on which I noted there had been some dialogue between yourself and other members relating to the erecting of a monument and trying to locate relatives. I realise this enquiry was started some years ago, in March 2009, but thought I would make contact to find out whether any monument was erected or if I could be of any help with any details.

Leslie was flying Halifaxes out of Linton-on-Ouse and carried out raids on Brest but was killed when his aircraft crashed on 30 December 1941. He is survived by his sister (my mother) Denise, now 97.

Regards

Clive Barrington[/FONT]

Thanks

Clive

I did make some enquiries regarding whether there had been any progress on the memorial but my contact was not aware of any; it may be worth trying to contact GILDAS to see if there is any news.

I am happy to provide you with information regarding your uncle's service with No. 35 Squadron if you would like to e-mail me (my address can be found by clicking on my name in the top left hand corner of this post)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

Thanks

Hi to all,
    Very strange that I also read this message today, only two days after Clive's post. About the monument, no, nothing was finally done for the moment. I had tried to look for several relatives at one time, and was until today in touch only with a relative of the pilot, Stuart Middleton.
    Since the original post, I’m the author of a first book “1940-1944 En leur mémoire (sorry but all in French) about some planes that all crashed around here. Unfortunately, as based on wreck pictures of 30 different planes, Halifax V9979 was not in it (never found any). Please have a look at http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article4686.html
    I was fortunate to get copies of a picture of Leslie and of letters from your family that I would gladly share back with you. I may try again to persuade today’s major of Pospoder to erect a monument close to the crash site on the coast. A british lady living in France proposed some help to try to locate relatives, so I may try again.
    Anyway, with or without a monument, I would gladly drive you to Leslie’s crew graves at the Brest cemetery, close to the target, and on the crash site. Also offer you a few remains. I left one cartridge under one rock, just as I located it.
    Please contact me at gildassaouAThotmail.com
    Kind regards
    Gildas