Thread: New to Forum.

Thanks

Default New to Forum.

Hello All
    Wow! What a site!! I'm not sure if this is the place to post this request and if its not, could somebody please point me in the right direction.

I produce colour profiles of aircraft and I'm currently working on a No 101 Squadron RAF Lancaster for a friend. Now I know that several aircraft would have and indeed did wear the code SR-Q, but we're having difficulty obtaining the correct serial number. The only info my pal has given me is his fathers name, T P Harris. I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Regards

Jonah

Thanks

Default SR-Q

G'day Jonah

Welcome to this treasure chest of priceless information.

Here are some of the Lancs that were coded SR-Q.

R5482

JB718

LM396 - Equipped with A.B.C.

RA595

LL756 - Equipped with A.B.C.

ED552

ME558 - Equipped with A.B.C.

* A.B.C. - Airborne Cigar. Radio counter measures system used to search out and jam German R/T
    frequencies. The aircraft carried a specially trained German-speaking operator.

Cheers...Chris
    Last edited by Dakota; 23rd February 2014 at 00:17. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

Hiya Chris

Brilliant!! I know the particular a/c was equipped with A.B.C. So that narrows it down to three. LM369 - LL765 and ME558. Now to try and find out their crews.

Thanks again

Mark

Thanks

Can only suggest, that if you know an approx time that T.P. Harris served with 101sqdn, that you take a chance on purchasing the Record of Events pages from the N/A, for a particular month in that period, in the hope that it shows him with a crew in one of those aircraft. Other than that, someone here may already have the ORB.
    Alan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Can only suggest, that if you know an approx time that T.P. Harris served with 101sqdn, that you take a chance on purchasing the Record of Events pages from the N/A, for a particular month in that period, in the hope that it shows him with a crew in one of those aircraft. Other than that, someone here may already have the ORB.
    Alan.
    Thanks for the advice Alan its much appreciated. I have already asked if my friend's Father was on any notable raids. At the moment all he can tell me is that the a/c was ABC fitted, that his Father was shot down twice.

Thanks

Jonah - I have the 101 Sqn ORB. If you can give me an approximate date that he was on the squadron, I'll check the ORB and so long as the serial was listed (sometimes they weren't in 101's ORB, just the letters were put in the ORB) , I'll let you know what it was :-)

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Jonah - I have the 101 Sqn ORB. If you can give me an approximate date that he was on the squadron, I'll check the ORB and so long as the serial was listed (sometimes they weren't in 101's ORB, just the letters were put in the ORB) , I'll let you know what it was :-)

L/O

Greg
    Brilliant, I'll get onto my mate soon as. He did tell me that his Dads best mate/Best Man was in the same a/c and was killed on a raid over Berlin at Christmas time......but unfortunately he doesnt know which Christmas......thanks Greg.
    Last edited by JONAH; 23rd February 2014 at 12:07.

Thanks

Gentlemen, thank you ever so much for your help. I now know that the a/c in question was LM395.