Thread: 295 Squadron Operations June to September from Hurn 1943

Thanks

Default 295 Squadron Operations June to September from Hurn 1943

Does anyone have any information on 295 Sqdn ORB’s As I am still trying to piece together my late Uncle W/O. M. Medcalfs time with 295 Sqdn at Hurn From 30/06/43 to the 07/09/43 the crew in question was:-

F/O F.G Reed
    F/O G Treleaven
    Sgt M Medcalf
    Sgt N Robson
    Sgt E Saunders
    Sgt M Tonkinson

The Halifax (sorry no No's) landed in Portugal on the 07/09/43 and the plane was destroyed but the crew all got out the two officers and Sgt Saunders had some hospital treatment for minor burns. They were interned here until the beginning of October 43, when were brought back to the UK via Sunderland flying boat.
    Any help with the glider pilots too that force landed with them in the Horsa Glider would be of interest, the crew being.
    Ltn D.E. Shuttleworth.
    Staff Sgt G. Gabott.
    Sgt R Garnett.
    Many thanks Anthony
    Last edited by Ant; 15th March 2009 at 22:52. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Hi Ant

The aircraft serial numbers were - Halifax EB178 and Horsa DP824. From Cummings' "Though Without Anger: Losses of Transport and Special Duties Aircraft and Assault Gliders 1940 to 1945"

"This tug aircraft and the glider listed below, crashed in Portugal and were destroyed by fire. The cause of this accident is not known but it may have been related to an attempt to ensure that a damaged glider was not released over the sea or it may be that the tug was in distress and hence turned towards land."

A

Thanks

Anthony,
    Not much but, same crew flew down to Portreath in EB178 on 14/08/43 and took off for overseas ferry with a Horsa in tow at 09.06 on 15/08/43.

Thanks

Default 295 Squadron Operations June to September from Hurn 1943

Thank you both for your input in this as it does bear out with what was told to me as a boy, plus other information received it has filled in one more blank period. As I can't find any mention of any of the above members on the commonwealth war graves site. They all survived the the war? Though Ltn Shuttleworth died later in September 43.
    As did W.O Medcalf while serving with 502 Sqdn along with the rest of the crew of Halifax JP320 (F) was posted missing presumed killed later in the war. on the 26/12/44

Once again thanks to both of you.

Thanks

Hello Anthony,

As I'm not at home until Friday so you can send me an email at raf38groupATgmail.com (replace AT with @) and I'll look in my files if I can find more details about your late uncle.
    Best regards.

Bruno Lecaplain
    www.raf38group.org
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>