Thread: Aviation Safety Network website / copyright

Thanks

Default Aviation Safety Network website / copyright

I know the "Lost B*mbers" website infringes copyright but has anyone had any dealings with the Aviation Safety Network website at...

http://aviation-safety.net/index.php

As some of you know, I run my own website dealing with incidents and losses in Yorkshire, this aviation safety website have copied word for word everything i wrote on some of the losses in my area. I include a copyright notice on my own website and wonder if anyone reading this knows what steps I could take to get the information they show on their site taken down or changed, or ideally simply crediting me would do. I've tried contacting them but have heard nothing.

Just to proof my point I deliberately included errors on one write up and these errors have been copied over which has amused me !

I appreciate that having a website is way of putting the information in the public domain and is liable it being used or linked to but when its basically copied letter for letter on another website it is rather cheeky.

Any comments appreciated, regards Rich

Thanks

Rich

I strongly suspect that the data in the Aviation Safety Network website has been updated by 'well meaning individuals' rather than the site owner. It is a user contributor site/wiki type site after all.

I am sure if you contacted the ultimate site owner http://www.flightsafety.org/home.html with appropiate concern then they would remove copyrighted materials or highlight the source...

Paul

Thanks

thanks Paul, i suppose if i become a "well meaning individual" and edit the entry myself then the problem would be cured! Shouldn't really have to though, regards Rich

Thanks

Hello Rich,

On the page of Aviation Safety there's a desclaimer page in which is written that copying Aviation Safety is illegal!!
    As I'm also a webmaster I feel concerned.
    He could at least have mentioned his sources and also at least added a link to your website. But first of all he should have asked.
    I don't like this at all. It is so too simple to create a website. I've had the same experience with a dutch website that I can't retrieve on google (I expect he was cancelled). He also copied words by words one of my pages and never replied to my emails and never added his sources.
    Best regards.

Bruno
    Last edited by Bruno; 16th March 2009 at 21:22.
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

Thanks

Rich,

I recall complaining to this site some time ago, with similar (non) success as yourself. Arrogant sods who perhaps would be better advised to stick to their core subject of 'Safety' rather than dabbling in and distorting history (then again, would you even feel comfortable flying with anyone as arrogant as this at the controls?!).

Errol

Thanks

Rich
    Copyright on the internet is an issue.
    I have encountered a similar problem with some of the information on my web site.
    I have spent many years now researching the 127 Squadron and the list of all known pilots was copied from my site.
    The site which 'stole' this information also did not list the source of the information or was ever given permission to use the data. They even have the cheek to state the content of their site is subject to copyright.
    (I also chuckle to myself because there are a few names missing and a couple of spelling mistakes that are duplicated)
    Regards
    Andy