Thread: airman's identity?

Thanks

Default airman's identity?

Hello all,

I have an accident to Oxford AS870 of 11 (P)AFU on the 25th August 1943 in which the unit ORB records the instructor as "An instructor, Can 10448 Sgt D H Gordon, was...." The accident card gives him as D H Gordon (10448).

I initially thought that the ORB was indicating that the pilot was Canadian, but neither the accident card nor ORB have the 'R' prefix. Can anyone identify this airman? Can't find him on CWGC or london gazette. Any suggestions??

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default 84

Hugh can probably help you out here but a

F/O D. H. Gordon - CAN.J.86284 - Pilot sailed from Southampton to New York as a group of repatriation airmen on the S.S. Lejeune arriving NY on May 5th 1945.

It would make sense that he would be commishioned by that stage of the war if he survived the 1943 crash. Does the ORB and Crash card indicate severity of crash and results to the occupants?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

If he was Canadian, 10448 would have been his last five. The full number would have been R110448.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Sorry, Dennis i should have added that it was a belly landing, aircraft badly damaged but pilots uninjured.

That F/O D H Gordon certainly fits in and maybe Hugh can help, but i just found it strange that the ORB, which is very detailed and precise and the accident card gave his number as that if it was in fact R110448?

Lets see if anyone can find out what F/O D H Gordons non commissioned service number was and see if it fits?

Cheers, Tom