Thread: 102 Squadron W/Cdr MARCHBANK

Thanks

Default 102 Squadron W/Cdr MARCHBANK

Hi:

Has anyone any knowledge of Wing Commander Marchbank at all, he was the C.O. for 102 Squadron Sept 43 to July 44. I am researching his crew that included the Squadron Bombing Leader F/Lt H.F. PULLEN DFC

I would very much like to find any photographs of this crew, as well as add any information possible.

Thanks for looking at my request. Colin.

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Colin

His biography can be found at

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Marchbank.htm

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie.

Thanks for that I had checked that link out and the incident reported 23.8.43 looks like one in which Pullen his B/A suffered some injury sufficent enough to miss out on sorties for several weeks.

My fingers crossed for a 102 Squadron expert to pop up on the forum. Thanks.

Eddie Fell Guest

Colin

The incident of 23/8/43 is recorded in 'It's suicide but its fun by Chris Goss'.

There is also a photo of Marchbank and crew with 'Charleys Aunt'

Eddie

Eddie Fell Guest

Colin

The piece I refer to, using Marchbank as the source states

'On 23 August 1943 we were tasked to attack Berlin. On take off, I opened the throttles and almost immediately, power decreased on the port side and try as I might, I could not correct the swing. In no time one wheel was on the grass and we were heading for the control tower. Off came the undercarriage and the aircraft slithered to a halt not far short of the building. I seem to remember that under these circumstances, and I hope I am correct, the first chap out had to be the pilot through an escape hatch in the top of the cockpit near his seat. The rest of the crew followed me very smartly but the bomb aimer caught his flying boot on something and fell on his head; he was the only casualty'

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie.

Well that explains it, if F/Lt Pullen fell from cockpit onto his head he was lucky to have survived, he was lucky the wheels had collapsed. No wonder he missed a few sorties with his crew.

I think Chris Goss might frequent this forum, fingers crossed as its possible he might know more of Marchbank and Pullen.