Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boulton Paul gun turrets

Thanks

Default Boulton Paul gun turrets

I am reading the training report of an air gunner which lists the various turrets he trained in. The notations are all obvious with FN 5, 20, 120 listed. There is also the note "B.P.C. & E." I have seen a picture of a Boulton Paul 'C' turret. Was there also an 'E' variation and if so, does anyone have any details or a picture?
    David

Thanks

Hi David

The Type E was a tail turret. There are 3 pages on it in "British Aircraft Armament: Volume 1" by Wallace-Clarke. I will scan send them to you in the morning.

A

Thanks

Thanks Amrit, that is very helpful. It appears my Dad trained at both positions, so the type 'E' confirms it.
    David

Thanks

Scans sent, David

A

Thanks

Does anyone know anything about 'turret position indicators'? I have been given one which indicates 90 (degrees I presume) left and right. The instrument designation appears to be 6A/1804 and it dates from 1944. There are some advertised for sale on the internet and say they are from Lancasters but I have contacted various preservation organisations and no one seems to have any knowledge. I tried a post on this site without success but you guys seem to know a bit more about turrets.

Thanks and regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,
    6A/1804 is the RAF section reference number for an aircraft instrument (the "6" indicates that it is aircraft equipment, the "A" that it is an instrument). You will have to find someone with access to a "Vocabulary" (AP1086) of RAF equipment, Section 6, of WW2 (or perhaps early 1950s) era to see what this instrument is called, then take it from there. The RAF Museum and probably any technical workshop with an interest in British WW2 aircraft might well have such volumes in their respective libraries.
    David D

Thanks

David,

Thanks. I'll keep trying! The people selling gauges like this seem very definite but there is no mention anywhere else on Google.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

There is a restored turret at Elvington, so they may be able to help you.

Thanks

Hi Simon,

The full description is

Indicators, Turret position, 24 Volts, Code No. AEX.1226. (6A/1804)

The indicator was paired with a transmitter.
    6A/1805. Code No. 169 F.L.

Fairly common on late war/post war aircraft. The basic instrument was in service up to the late 1950s so better described as 'possibly Lancaster, probably Lincoln'.

Impossible to trace to either a particular aircraft or type without an attached unserviceable chit.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Hi Simon,

Fairly common on late war/post war aircraft. The basic instrument was in service up to the late 1950s so better described as 'possibly Lancaster, probably Lincoln'.

Regards
    Ross

Ross, thanks that answers my question. The instrument has a serial number (I think)
    of 3296/44. Whether that means it dates from 1944 I can't be sure but that seems to be the convention. I'm not an instrument anorak but am getting more interested!

I contacted the Air Museum at Elvington and they couldn't place it from a photo so I'll take it over in the Easter holidays. One advantage of living in Leeds!

Cheers

Simon