Thread: sgt RF ashby 12 squadron 27-07-1942

Thanks

Default sgt RF ashby 12 squadron 27-07-1942

leafing through chorley , i've come across entry against ashby being killed 27-07-42 in wellington w5367, double checking against cwgc.. it says airman was killed 27-09-42, and buried at rheinberg, all other deaths from w5367 are at reichswald...

anyone have an idea as to the reasoning behind the mismatches?

cheers

Thanks

Could be just that when the CWGC database was being created there was a scanning error.

I have contacted them a number of times this year and in all but one case their original records showed that there was a scanning error. You should contact them though their website and they will get back in contact in a few weeks, they have a large backlog.

or I can contact them?

That does not explain the different cemeteries however.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I can only guess at a CWGC error accepted and perpetuated by Chorley. BCL has Ashby with 2 death dates, in Vol 3, on the a/c you indicated which crashed nr Bramsche on an op to Hamburg with the crew being buried there but for the pilot F/Sgt Holgate who became POW. The dead were reported as moved to Reichswald. In Vol 9, Roll of Honour, he has the date as 27/9/42 which I believe he may have accepted from CWGC. It suggests what Dennis has said, that CWGC made an error when creating their database. BCL Vol 9 was published some time after the preparation of the "year" vols and the CWGC database is also fairly modern.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Gents,
    I've a listing of the 'first burials' of the German town Bramsche (N of Osnabrück). There are three unknown burials with the date 27-7-1942 (Row 1 Graves 4,5,6) delivered from the crash location Westerholte NW of Bramsche where W5367 came down. SAVORY, JACKETT and GRADY were identified post war and buried in the Reichswald Forest War Cem., locations resp. 26-C-12,16,18. ASHBY lies buried 17-A-20 at Rheinberg. This indicates that ASHBY's remains may have been found elsewhere (died of wounds ?). Only the exhumation reports may have the answer.
    BTW did you see that Sgt A.C. SAVORY - 980033, is completely missing in Chorley's Vol.9 !
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Savory is listed on p.128 (top of second column), in BCL9RoH.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th March 2009 at 12:07. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

thanks for the feedback to my query ... there was no specific reason for original question, just something i noticed and curiosity got the better of me ...

very interesting replies ...

cheers..

Thanks

Yes Col found SAVOREY IN cHORLEY'S Vol.9 ! Appointment made with eye doctor !
    Regards,
    Henk.