Thread: Hurricane V7200

Thanks

Default Hurricane V7200

MoBoB entry for Henry Albert Bolton says that he was killed when f/l Hurricane V7200 at Halliloo Farm, Warlingham 31/8/40, BoBT&N has much the same info. buts adds that the a/c was written off and mentions an investigation by Air Historical Group 'with no result'.

ABS gives the cause of V7200's loss as SIG 1m N of Usworth 9/5/41. A old post here records the death of pilot AEJ Thorne in this accident.

It may be that the serial is misquoted in one of these accounts, but which?

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    As you say, two books identify Bolton's Hurricane as V 7200. Mason has missed it out of both 'Hawker Hurricane' and 'Battle Over Britain.' There is a photograph of Bolton's crashed Hurricane: BoBT&N Page Xii. It can't be identified from that. If that is V 7200 there is no way it could be repaired.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Robert

Just looked at my copy of BoBT&N (1980)and Boulton's a/c is said to have been P3888! But ABS has that one crashing at Ladybank, Fife 11/7/1942. (The photograph is not in my copy.)

I have spent the afternoon looking through the P7.... Hurricane serials and found P7412 in ABS 'believed shot down near Croydon 9/9/1940', but Boulton's a/c is supposed to have been in a collision..........

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    I think you are having a little trouble with your Boltons. The pilot you mentioned in your last post was F/O John Eric BoUlton who was killed in a mid air collision, September 9, 1940 with 310 Squadron. MOBoB states collided with a ME 110, BoBT&N states Do 215, in both cases after striking another Hurricane.
    The man you were looking for in your first post was Henry Albert Bolton of 79 Squadron who was killed in a forced landing August 31, 1940. His Hurricane is said to be V 7200.
    The photo of his Hurricane appeared in the Mk V version of BoBT&N and should be here.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Robert
    My error just goes to show that one sees what one expects to see sometimes! You are absolutely right.

However the situation re V7200 is still confused, as is that of P3888 (which looks as though it might be in error for V7412)

Thanks for the photograph.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Tooooooooooooooo difficult for me to take part in the discussion with regard to the obscure serial numbers !
    Regards,
    Henk.