Thread: Car accident Ixworth + court early 1941

Thanks

Default Car accident Ixworth + court early 1941

Hi all,

I would like to ask our English colleagues for help - maybe you will be more successful in searching old newspapers etc. than me - I spend few weeks searching all sources I was able to find - including local Police station who informed me that all car accident reports are destroyed after 5 years.

Unfortunately I have not exact date but only short reminiscence of one former lawyer that shortly before he left for leave on 2nd May 1941 he defend one Czech pilot of 311 Sq facing "Police Court" in Ixworth as he killed in car accident someone.

I know it is very small amount of info but I will be glad to find more information about this sad case.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Pavel,
    Did you look into the Coroner’s records? If there was a death, and the driver needed legal help, it probably means that there was an inquest. Also, I believe that during the war a member of the local police was sometimes appointed to act as Coroner, which is different from peacetime. This fits in with the use of ‘police court’.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce

Thanks

Hi Burce,

thanks for an idea - iÏ did not try it yet.
    Anyone can tell me where such records can be kept?

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

I do not have any first-hand experience of these files, but I will see what I can find on my next visit to The National Archives. I am certain that there was a regional system, wherein a Coroner would have responsibility for a certain area, so the first step will be to find what authority covered the Ixworth area in 1941. A Kellys Directory or local phonebook from the time should have the information. It is possible someone from this forum who has access to the Suffolk libraries could clarify this.

Bruce

Thanks

Hi Pavel,
    All Coroners Records I have used have been available from the County Records Office, although my experience is in the north of the Country I expect the south is the same.
    As Ixworth is in Suffolk I should start here:
    http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/LocalHistoryAndHeritage/SuffolkRecordOffice/

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Pavel, Hi,
    If you come unstuck at the Suffolk County Record Office then if I remember rightly the "Big Town" for the Ixworth area at that time would have been Bury St Edmunds. The local newspaper might have archive material.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Pavel, no Coroner’s files for Suffolk WW11 at The National Archives, have sent you details of process to contact Suffolk Record Office.

Bruce

Thanks

Pavel,

I live in Colchester, approx 30 miles or so from Bury St Edmunds, and would be happy to make a telephone call to the local coroner's office for you.

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Hi all,

Bruce - thanks a lot for you mail.

Jonny - many thanks for you kind offer, please check your PM, I will send you details.

Pavel