Thread: F/S Samuel Nicolson, 10 OTU

Thanks

Default F/S Samuel Nicolson, 10 OTU

A friend is undertaking some family history research. His uncle, 1057973 F/S Samuel Nicolson (son of R.D. and Mary Ann Nicolson, of Portree, Isle of Skye) was one of six crew lost with Whitley Mk.V Z9435 of 10 OTU when it failed to return from an anti-submarine patrol to its base at St.Eval, Cornwall, from which it departed on 15 October 1942. The aircraft was suspected to have fallen victim to enemy fighter attack (Chorley, Vol 7).

During 1942, 10 OTU became responsible for a large anti-submarine flight manned by crews from all the Whitley OTUs, which was detached to St.Eval (under the control of No.19 Group, Coastal Command) for anti-submarine patrols over the Western Approaches and Bay of Biscay. Thirty-three Whitleys were lost before being withdrawn from this task on 23 July 1943.

F/S Nicolson is listed second on Bill Chorley's casualty list for this loss - usually this implies he would have been the Observer, does anyone know if this is correct? Also does anyone have any further information about this sortie, the loss or crew. As far as I can determine there was no Luftwaffe claim of an RAF twin-engined bomber on this date in the area mentioned above.

As Chorley notes, at the age of 41, another crew member, Sgt J McDonald, was well over the age associated with operational flying. I would be interested to know if there is mention of F/S Nicolson in the 10 OTU ORB.

Any information gratefully received.

Keith Bryers

Thanks

Hi Keith,

By chance I made a note against this crew because about twenty years ago a friend of mine showed me a A4 sized framed picture of this crew with individual pictures of the crew. I believe this type of picture was not unusually and must of been owned by a relative or friend of the crew. He bought it at a auction many years ago !

This was all pre Chorley and I did a little research on the crew to bring their story a little to life ! Unfortunately I also lost touch with my friend some years ago.

Mark

Thanks

Hello Keith,

Chris Goss mentions the following in 'Bloody Biscay':-

15 October 42

Whitley shot down by Lt.Heinz Olbrecht, 14./KG 40 in PlQ 14W/0817, 1723 hrs. (shared with Lt.Artur Thies & Ofw.Hans Rakow).

Whitley Z9435 of 10 OTU.

Sgt.B.L.Rogers - P
    Sgt.S.Nicholson - P
    Fg.Off.G.R.Tart - P
    Sgt.J.McDonald - AG.
    Sgt.N.A.Revitt - O
    F/S.G.H.Thornley - WOp

All missing.

See:
    Bloody Biscay:The History of V Gruppe/Kampfgeschwader 40.
    Goss,Chris.
    n.p.,Crecy,1997.
    p.205

There is also a later edition of this work that would need to be checked.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th March 2009 at 13:19. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Keith,

I found some of my notes, based on information given from the picture. This is it's crew listing :-

Sgt B.L Rogers - Pilot Captain
    P/O G.R Tart - 2nd Pilot
    F/S S Nicholson - Bomb Aimer
    Sgt N.A Revitt - Observer- Navigator
    F/S G.H Thornley - Wireless Operator Air Gunner
    Sgt J. McDonald - Air Gunner

Now that's what the picture say's, how accurate is the information ?

Mark

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Nicolson

Many thanks for the responses - passed on to the family.

Keith