Thread: Flight archive

Thanks

Default Flight archive

Has anyone used the Flight archive recently? It seems impossibly slow compared with times past and doesn't appear to be hitting all the targets it should - or is it just me?

Brian

Thanks

I've had no speed problems with it.

Can you give some examples of what your looking for? Give context as well.

My home laptop is dying a death and our network at work is terminal also but I've not had problems beyond the normal scanning problems with OCR documents.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis,

I've entered both Conran and E. L. Conran for the period 1914-1916; sometimes I get some immediate hits but at other times it's very slow in responding. When I do get the hits and try to access a page it might, or might not, respond quickly, but having read one page and tried for another it just seems to search for ages - then gives a blank page.

I've just used Conran as an example as he was OC the CFS Experimental Flight for a while (5 Sept to 7 Dec 1915) and comes to mind quickly, but there are other names I've accessed in the past that simply aren't coming up when I search.

Taking the Conran case as an example if I enter the name in the format E. L. Conran there might be no, or a small number of hits, but using Conran on its own there are more hits, most of which are E. L. Conran.

I've simply used Conran to describe the problem (I don't need any info) but I don't have any similar problems with other websites

Brian

Thanks

I have noticed that it is more temperamental than usual but I also found that the loading of individual pages was too. That last problem was partially dealt with by updating Acrobat on my system.

A

Thanks

You've put it far succinctly than I did Amrit - that's another of my problems!

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,
    I tried it two days ago and earlier today and it was much slower then usual. I didnt wait and continued with other research methods.
    Norman

Thanks

Thank you Norman, I think that more or less confirms I'm not alone, although not everyone is affected.

Brian

Thanks

I have just tried it without problem, although my laptop is quite new and running Vista 64. You might also want to check your version of java and update that too.
    David

Thanks

I've not had a chance to check things out but I would recommend updating to latest Acrobat Reader 9, I think is the lastest one I use both at home and work, its nice a fresh. I used to have problems with our Adobe Acrobat conflicting with Adobe Reader 6 or 7 at work but since loadign Reader 9 all that has disappeared.

I've just tried your Conran search and it is strange I admit now:

Searching for Conran it get 9 hits

for L. Conran I get 19 hits ??

E. L. Conran 66 hits

L.Conran 19 hits but no red highlights.

My laptop is doinf a hard drive scan right now so its sluggish to slow but Flight still worked straight away for me.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com