Thread: Squadron Identification codes

Thanks

Default Squadron Identification codes

Hi all,

Could anyone shed light on how & where to find aircrafts individual sqn, id letters

eg; FT-? DW-? etc.

It appears some sqns, logged some aircrafts individual id's in their ORB & others not, & some not at all.

Thank you for your help

Chris

Thanks

It seems to me that in many cases it can be almost impossible to work out individual letters, however at times if you cross reference documents such as ORB's, log books, photographs, and things like crash reports/loss cards you can be lucky.

Johnnie

Thanks

Default Squadron Codes

Hi Chris,

You can find some squadron codes here http://www.rafweb.org/Menu.htm#Squadrons

Cheers

Lorraine

Thanks

Thank you Lorraine & Johnnie.

Johnnie thank you for your support on Monday 16th

Chris

Thanks

Default Squadron Codes WWII

Hi again Chris

Also here http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/rafcodes.html

Lorraine

Thanks

No problem.

I'm a little confused with this one. Are you after the individual letter given to the aircraft while with a unit, or the code given to a Squadron?

If it is the letters given to a Squadron, Flying Units of the RAF by Lake is vert good.

Johnnie

Thanks

hello,

Actually much better than Alan Lake's book, which is quite general, the two best books about Squadron codes are :
    - Squadron codes 1937-1956, by Michael Bowyer & John Rawlings, PSL, 1979
    - Combat codes, by Vic Flintham and Andrew Thomas, Airlife, 2003.

The second being more recent is more up-to-date.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you all,

Johnnie it is the actual single id letters that I am after.

Chris

Thanks

I thought it might be. In that case I'll go back to my first answer.

It can be almost impossible at times to find the individual letters if they are not
    in the ORB/loss cards, however cross referencing with ORB's, photos, log books, and other documents such as loss cards/crash reports can help.

If it is for a specific unit you are best to ask here, as some members have put together
    databases with aircraft from squadron and have information such as individual code letters, while others have done the same for aircraft types.

Johnnie

Thanks

Default A/c code letters

Hi Chris

Can you tell us what in particular you're interested in? Bomber Command a/c? A particular squadron? What time-span or period?

I just ask because I have had some success in working out some a/c code letters by comparing details from different documents up at Kew. It's a bit laborious and not doesn't give answers 100% of the time but by some, what I can call, 'frequency analysis' I've managed (for example) to tie-in the a/c serials and code letters for just about all of the 250+ a/c involved on the Lubeck raid in March '42. I suspect it might not work so well with fighter squadrons (not my area of interest) but for them there might be other docs that you can link together to get the same results.

But as I say it's a bit laborious (so only for the real geeks!) and you might well need to go to Kew personally to gather the data.

Johnnie has also given you a clue about ORB's, log books and photos, but I think those will be more bit hit-and-miss. Some ORB's are quite good at recording serials and codes, some do serials only, some do part-serials, and some (the really awkward ones) do code letters only! Log books and photos will, I imagine, give you far fewer definite answers because there'll be fewer of them around.

Ian