Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito HR133 Stronsay Orkney June 1944

Thanks

Default Mosquito HR133 Stronsay Orkney June 1944

I know this Mosquito was talked about on the old forum but some new information has come to light thanks to Dave getting the 1180. It names the pilot who shot the mosquito down as W/O Stewart.

Can anyone shead any light on this pilot or squadron?

Kevin

Thanks

Default Mosquito VI HR133

This a/c was from 333 Sqn, Leuchars and was flying to Sumburgh when it was intercepted as an unidentified a/c west of Brough Head by two 118 Sqn Spitfire Vbs flying a camera gun exercise from Skeabrae (W/O Stewart and F/S Miller) at 11:30 on 11.6.44. They fired on the MOsquito and followed it to Mull Head. The a/c crashed in Auskerry Sound, close to Stronsay at 11:48, killing one of the two crew. W/O Stewart was charged with an offence (don't know exactly what) but was found Not Guilty at court martial on 17.8.44.

Keith

Thanks

Hi Keith thanks for the prompt response, I did see on the old forum that a couple of other names were put forward so this answers that question, There was also some dispute about the nationality of Stewart as the Mosquito pilot had said in a book that he thought the pilot of the plane that shot them down was from New Zealand?
    thanks again

Kevin

Thanks

Default Mossy off Stronsay

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for helping Kevin and I out with this one it was quite a topic on the board a while back and I don`t know why nobody else came up with this info, what was the source Keith? Did this come from the CofI or Sqdn records?

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

Hi had another look on the old forum again and see Stein had posted stuff from the ORB for the spitfires but there is no mention of these two pilots flying any ops in it? Was this left out due to the mistake?

Keith do you know the numbers of the Spitfires involved in the attack?

cheers

Kevin

Thanks

Keith, Hi,
    Yr signal of 22Mar09 2121 on this thread refers.
    Interesting point of Air Force Law (owners of MAFL will now be reaching for their copies!).
    Can one actually Charge a Warrant Officer (RAF F252 and all that nonsense)? There must, presumably, have been a Charge which led to a Summary of Evidence, which - in turn - led to a Court Martial?
    "Negligent Discharge Of A Weapon" springs to mind! "Negligent Disregard For The Rules Of Engagement" is another - but I suspect that Rules Of Engagement was a discipline in its very infancy in WW2! There is, though, the usual "Catch All" Section 40 - 'Conduct Prejudicial To Good Order And Discipline In The RAF"!! Surely, you wouldn't 'do' an aircrew Warrant Officer with Section 40? - but having worked with, and for, Her Majesty's Royal Aeroplane Persons for more than 40 years - nothing would surprise me!!
    I'm not wishing to hijack this thread - just an arcane interest!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS I got off a "Fizzer" (i.e. RAF F252 procedures) for 'Stealing Coke from the Sqn Coke Store' during my National Service Square Bashing at Hednesford by stating "that as a qualified meteorologist I estimated that the temperature in our Barrack Hut overnight was well below freezing." This, I postulated, was not conducive to our being to be in a fit state to receive the Pearls Of Wisdom from our revered Drill Instructors the next morning. Case Dismissed. But the blokes in the next Hut - who had also nicked some of Her Majesty's coke - got 7 days additional Cookhouse duties (in the dreaded Tin-Room!) 'cos they didn't have a bolshie Met Man!!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 24th March 2009 at 14:24.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The source is Skeabrae ORB (AIR 28/712). It also says there was a survivor from the Mosquito, the crew member being missing. The Spitfires were BL718 and BM423.

Keith

Thanks

Mosquito Crew were Ltn. Hans Engebrigtsen (wounded) and Ltn. Odd Gjestrum Jonassen (killed)

Thanks

Keith, which Spitfire was W/O Stewart flying? would it be possile to post what the ORB says?
    We are in contact with a man on Stronsay who saw the Mosquito crash ! He was on his way to church and it went right over his head and into the sea off the south end of Stronsay.His sister had nightmares about it for a long time afterwards. He saw the rescue boat come out from Shapinsay. The body of Ltn. Odd Gjestrum Jonassen washed ashore on the Isle of Huip, to the north of Stronsay a week later

Kevin

Thanks

Kevin - can't be sure but from the order given in the document it may be that W/O Stewart was in BL718.

Keith