Thread: F/O Malcolm Hayes (118396)

Thanks

Default F/O Malcolm Hayes (118396)

F/O Malcolm Hayes was the pilot of Halifax DK123 which was shot down whilst attacking an electricity transformer at Distre on 19 February 1943. He had a daughter Elizabeth M Hayes, born 7 months after the raid, the birth being registered in the Wokingham.

It is believed Elizabeth married a Mchurick and her last known address was in Edinburgh, possibly in the early 1990s. Although 'McHurick' is an extremely unusual name I've been unable to trace any such family in the BT telephone directory.

Could any of our Scottish BMD experts offer any advice - either year of marriage or possibly death (anything really.)

If needs be I will resort to the press, but that will only be when I've exhausted all other routes.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

I've no viewing credits for Scotlandspeople but the spelling Mchurick does not return for anyones death in their database.

I do see a few of them on ancestry.com which I guess you have already.

Scotlandspeople marriage registers only go up to 1933!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis. I'm afraid I'm no expert with these genealogy things - I leave that to Peter or my better half (they will be properly instructed in their next task).

On a more serious note this is rather a strange one in that BT.com hasn't provided any hits, whilst the only hit I had on the Internet was a chap who died in 1797!

Brian

Thanks

Default Transfer from Army to RAF

I haven't traced Hayes' daughter, but I have discovered he had a brother who is still living. I've only got to trace him now, but that's my problem.

However, I would appreciate assistance in trying to sort out Hayes' career. From the LG I know he was commissioned as 2nd Lt in the Royal Artillery in May 1940. He subsequently relinquishes his commission as Lt on 21 Feb 1942, on which date he is commissioned as P/O (on probation) in the GD Branch, RAFVR. By August he is at Netheravon with 295 Sqn, at that time flying Whitleys.

Clearly Hayes had received some training, or had trained as a pilot, when he transferred to the RAFVR, but can anyone provide a probable scenario of how an RA officer would become a pilot, or train as a pilot, in the Army?

TIA

Brian

Thanks

A large part of the AOP Squadrons were RA or ex-RA officers, so he could have learnt on their Austers.

A

Thanks

Much obliged Amrit.

Brian

Thanks

Brian, Whilst not discounting Amrit's response re AOP pilots, The LG tosses up a number of Army officers who transferred to the RAF during the war. I wonder if the Army commission wasn't relinquished until the "wings" course had been completed? Regards, Terry

Thanks

I'm open to all suggestions Terry. What you suggests could well fit as Hayes joined 295 Sqn at its formation in August 1942 - in other words he must have been a qualified pilot on multi-engined aircraft on his transfer. I suspect the answer is probably a mix of your reply and Amrit's - that he learnt to fly for AOP duties then, finding flying was his metier, volunteered for a transfer, which was only confirmed when he successfully completed his training.

His two brothers were both in the Army so it may be that joining the Army in the first place was a family thing. His older brother, Capt Graham Hayes, was executed by the Gestapo the following July after being captured following a Small Scale Raiding Force commando operation in September 1942 ('If I must die' by Gerard Fournier)

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

There was an earlier thread which pointed out that a reasonable number of Army officerrs volunteered or were seconded for flying duties and many of them held dual commissions.

A/Cdre Andrew Geddes, A/Cdre Operations, HQ 2TAF, for example still held a commission as a Major in the Army until he was awarded a Permanent Commission in the RAF in 1946. He had first been seconded to the RAF in 1928, returned to the Army in 1932, back to the RAF in 1935, then to the Army in 1938 until being reseconded to the RAF in 1939, where he served until transferring to the RAF in 1946.

Your man may simply have decided to apply for a transfer to the RAF on completion of his flying training.

Malcolm

Thanks

I think that's what I'm trying to imply Malcolm. Since it was just 5 months between the time he was commissioned in the RAFVR and arriving at 295 Sqn, I would guess he must have completed most/all of his heavy training whilst still an Army officer. Perhaps the thinking was that if he failed in this respect he would still be qualified for AOP duties in a light aircraft.

Interesting variety of scenarios though; perhaps if I trace his brother the proper story will emerge.

Brian