Thread: 1 Acrc

Eddie Fell Guest

Default 1 Acrc

I have an airman posted to 1 ACRC on 9/8/43 (from copy of service record).

'Flying Training and Support Units' does not seem to contain any reference to No. 1 Aircrew Reception Centre. My suspicion is that we are talking about Regents Park (which above mentioned ref. has as 3 ACRC at this time) but can anybody confirm?

Thanks

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie,
    According to N/A ref's, 1 ACRC was a Middle East unit located in Jerusalem.
    Alan.

Eddie Fell Guest

I had discounted that one Alan as less than a month later he was in Torquay and getting to Kasfareet might have taken up all his time!

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

hello,

I have No. 1 A.C.R.C. at Lords Cricket Ground in 1942. But I can't tell you much better than this. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more details.

As these units didn't have aircrafts, they are not mentioned in 'Flying Training and Support Units' . Or so did I understand the content of the book.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Eddie,

Taken from my fathers RAF service records:
    3 Oct 1941 No 1 A.C.R.C. RAF Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset
    28 Mar 1942 No 5 I.T.W., Hotel Metropole, Belgrave Road, Torquay, Devon

Norman

Thanks

Default No 1ACRC

Hi Eddie
    Re the above my brother went there 2 8 43 it was at Regents Park St Johns Wood
    at that time we lived at Harrow juust a few miles up the road.
    Regards
    Harold Dummer

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks All

Joss - there are many Units in the book that did not have aircraft on strength - ITW's, PDRC's and MU's to name a few

Norman - I know there was a Recruit Centre at Weston but I have been unable to find any reference to an ACRC there

Harold/Joss - I'm happy that the ACRC was at Lords Cricket Ground.

What has had me thinking for a while is the 'description' of the location. The aircrew I have spoken to usually just say they were at Lords Cricket Club. As Lords is in St. Johns Wood and that is immediately adjacent to Regents Park itself, I think they are all one and the same place and all 3 descriptions apply to the ACRC.

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

hello Eddie,

I was re-reading excerpts of "Typhoon Tale" by James Kyle, after I consulted No. 1 B.F.T.S. ORB at Kew, where he was taught to fly. On page 33, he mentions he was "to report to Lord's Cricket Ground, St John's Wood, London, on the palindromic date of 14.7.41". He doesn't name the unit as A.C.R.C., but location is confirmed.

You're right about the book and non-aircraft units, although we may say that MUs indeed "handled" aircrafts...

Joss